Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I made the mistake a few of us make once in a lifetime. I went to go look at the petshop rats. All except one was wild. This girl though, she jumped on my arm, ran up and gave me kisses, sweetest thing ever, so I took her. Now the lady said that she gave birth a week ago, which I dont know if I should believe or not, there was no babies in the tank, but they could have already been sold, so my questions are that if she did indeed have babies last week, can she be pregnant again?
She does have a small hanging belly, which I dont know if it's fat or babies. If she is indeed pregnant, is there any way to abort the foetuses ?
I work at a vet clinic so getting her spayed or getting medication is not hard. I just prefer not spaying, because the vet doesn't know rats or treats them but will be willing to try spaying her. Any advice on how to handle this would be great.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If she was housed with other males at the time of the birth, or any time after, then she's probably pregnant again.

I heard that there is a hormone shot they can get that makes them re-absorb babies up to a certain point in the pregnancy, but I am no vet! Ask your own vet and see.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Females can become pregnant again within 24 hours of giving birth. There is a medication called galastop that you should ask your vet about.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts