Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've recently started looking into making my own mix of food for my two male rats. I'm leaning towards making Suebee's mix but my main question is whats the serving size a day? My two young rats are currently on lab blocks. Any advice is appreciated and thank you for taking the time to check out my post

·
Registered
748 Posts
I am not sure but maybe you should talk to cagedbirdsinging or isamurat before you select a homemade mix. Suebee's is not the best choice. I know that when I wanted to make my own mix one of those two users said that the shunamite mix was okay. If you want a really good ready made food for your rats then I would recommend cagedbirdsinging's Rat Snacks n' Stuff or Oxbow regal rat.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Keep in mind if you go with Suebee's that Suebee recommends using a lab block with it.

http://www.ratsrule.com/diet.html

"The grain mix is not complete by itself. It needs to be supplemented with a high quality lab block or dog food as the staple.
Many people choose to use a high quality lab block, such as Harlan Teklad, instead of the dog food, and I highly endorse this. A high quality lab block, if you have access, is always recommended. "

That one basically came into existence because she didn't have access to a good block. A lot of people using "Suebee's" use it as a generic term for "I mixed together a bunch of cereals from my pantry" and it really isn't that. I would agree with Lesti though - there's better mixes to consider if you want to go home made.

As far as serving size, the general guideline for most diets is 1 lb per rat per month. So you could weigh it and figure out what that works out to and adjust it as needed from there. Keep in mind that not all food is equal by the weight - vegetables for example have high water content so weigh more per the same calorie content. Works as a starting point though.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Another thing to think about with suebee's is that if you do decide to supplement with lab blocks, it will throw off the balance of the food because of the lab blocks being already nutritionally complete.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts