Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have this item:

It's called the Habitat Defined Enrichment Pod - Hide N' Go Treat, made by Kaytee/Super Pet?

I absolutely LOVED it. It's a bird foraging toy that I bought on Drs. Foster & Smith. I used it to store the rats' Oxbow Regal Rat Adult Rat Food pellets. The swinging door was the perfect size to dispensing their pellets, and the open back was great for refilling. It kept food off the floor, and unlike open food bowls or hanging bowls, my rats couldn't climb and pee in it, and it also deterred hoarding and stashing of food. I loved watching my babes swing the door with their little paws, and the inner funnel-like design prevented their pellets from just sliding and falling out, while providing a steady flow of available food. Unfortunately, when I forgot to refill the pod, Algae would sometimes rip the door off. It was still useable for a time, but then someone chewed the little knob that keeps the door attached to the pod, and it had to be discarded. Now the pod is infinitely more difficult to find. Amazon has it for $8-9, and ebay prices can go up to $14 for one pod. I paid $3.50 for mine. I wanted to purchase 2 or 3 of them, but at over 2-10x the original price, I can't seem to do it, especially with the ease of the product breaking.

So then I got to thinking, well, why don't I try my hand at making my own food holder?

I know some of you are pretty crafty/handy, so I thought I'd make a post here. I'd appreciate any brainstorming help for the design of the food holder/dispenser, or just general advice, suggestions, recommendations, etc!

The few tools that I own: a cordless power drill, impact driver, handheld mini power saw, a mini trimming plane, (in the process of purchasing a bench plane), a regular a mini filing kit (which is basically useless, tbh), wood glue, crazy glue, hot glue gun, some magnets, aquarium sealant..

Some scrap material that I have: plexiglass, wood, thin poplar wood, coroplast, thick cardboard.. I do NOT have advanced cutting tools, unfortunately, so the design would have to be fairly simple.

I'm a total newbie to building stuff, so the tools that I own is very small, as is my knowledge and experience. For example, here are my current projects: paper towel storage holder (literally two pieces of wood + two repurposed metal bars), bottom pan for SCN with 7" plexiglass sides to hold bedding for my sister's hamster.

Please feel free to share your ideas!

Thanks! :cool:

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you have small gardening shears lying around then you could cut the coroplast into a similar flat shape and use some clamps, a piece of wood with 90deg corners, and a hammer to bend it into shape. then you could easily Zip-ties if you have any to attach it into that configuration (if the it's too thick to poke holes in with scissors you could use the drill) also if you wanted a door you can drill an appropriately sized hole and then cut cardboard/plexiglass/coroplast to the size of the door and fasten it with a bolt and nut (this way the door is easily reattached to the rest of the thing if your ratties rip it off) If you want me to be more specific I can be but I thought I would keep this post on the short side :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts