Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your rat chew on any part of the rat cage, or do you keep them occupied enough with chew toys for them to not need to? Just wondering because i am planning on making my next rat cage, and i am trying to think of everything. the wood i would make it out of is birch ply, and put it together with liquid nails before screwing it all together. after i would put 5 coats of water based Teflon bathroom paint. But if rats are going to chew on the cage the glue in the ply, and the liquid nails could be bad for them. I don't want to risk their health, but i also want to make the coolest cage i can for them

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
When I had my homemade cage, I painted it with Kilz primer, which is water-/stain-proof. After that, I painited it lots of colors with child-safe paint. For the three years I used it, I only had two rats chew on it. The good thing about rats who chew, is they rarely actually ingest the materials. When Fitzy or Meow Mix chewed on the homemade cage, I'd just find a pile of little shavings - nothing had been eaten.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i wouldn't worry too much about it. for chewers, give them something else a little tastier to chew on, like flavored wood chews or hamsteroids, and see if that helps. and night's right, rats who chew rarely actually eat the stuff.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'll echo what OnlyOno said - give them lots of other things to chew on, switching them around as much as possible to keep their interest. Along with that, tons of free-roam time should help :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts