Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, some of you may know we've had a bit of an increase in numbers here. (story here http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?227641-A-lot-has-happened-since-I-last-posted.)

We had our 3 girls in a parrot cage, which was the size of like a single critter nation. So we got a dcn for the girls, since there will be 4 more of em now.

For the boys I'm hoping to reuse an old ferret cage if I can get away with it instead of getting another dcn. I think we are going to have 8 boys. Now if I have to cover it in wire or anything I will just get another dcn. But if this will work it will be better. I have two of these http://qualitycage.com/images/FH-36-123-PCWHI.jpg (full page http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=944) the only diff being they are coated black instead of white. They are 20"X36"x60" in size so plenty big enough. However the wire is 1"x1" which wouldn't work for one of my girls. I'm thinking the boys once full grown should be good though. Does anyone have boys that could stick their heads through that size?

I'm really hoping to use them. I've got stands for them, so I would be all set. They are really nice, huge doors and all 3 levels can be closed off like the dcn does, ramp just hooks to the top. I'm hoping to keep the boys in the girls old cage till they are full grown and then they can go into the Quality Cage. What do you think? I think I've seen boys in like the super pet cages and ferret nations. People that have that set up, does it work? Do they hold the boys without modifications?

Thank you for any imput.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Someone on a Facebook group I'm part of keeps males in it with no problem. I think it really depends on the males (because rats can vary in size a LOT) I know tons of people with male mischief's in the FN without any modifications. I would definitely go for it if you already have it, whole lot better then getting another cage!

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have 3 boys who are only 2 months old and neither of them tries to escape the DFN model 142 I have. However, they COULD if they wanted to. When the boys are bigger they wont be able to fit through to bars so it really depends on how old they boys are when you get them. The DCN is probably the best option anyway due to the horizontal bars for climbing and hanging of hammocks and whatnots.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm guessing ya didn't read. Probably too long, I can tend to write a book. anyways, the cage bars go both directions, as far as hanging stuff, easier than dcn, because they don't slide. The climbing isn't a problem. The boys I already have them. I'ill be keeping them in the girls old cage till they would be big enough. If they can't get out the bars I'll use it. I don't want to spend that kinda money if it's a waste, (plus, I'm closer to hillbilly, than Rockefeller financially) since the cage I have for them would be awesome in every way...except that I worry they can get out.

It sounds like most people with boys have not had trouble with that kinda spacing. I'm going to wait and see how big they get I think. I love the quality cages, but couldn't use em with the girls. It would be awesome for the boys to get use out of them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts