Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My quiet girl Willow has an intestinal infection. The original thread is here-

http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?t=232618

She's on metronidazole and the dose is SO small, .05, that I'm not even sure she's getting it. She doesn't like taking meds from a syringe so her previous antibiotic, I was putting in a spoon and letting her lick it up, which she did happily. But this dose is too small to put in a spoon so I'm just putting the syringe directly in her mouth. The problem is, this med has to be shaken vigorously to mix it and you can barely see the little "snow" in the liquid. It seems to separate very quickly too, like this morning after I gave her the med, there was white stuff still left in the syringe. I tried to get her to lick the syringe after I'd pulled it apart, but she wouldn't. So it worries me that she's not getting her full dose.

Anybody have experience with this med or any ideas on the best way to give it so that I know she's getting the proper dose?

·
Registered
953 Posts
can you mix it with something thick she likes, such as jelly, chocolate syrup, yogurt ect? If so it's easier to get things that separate to mix with a thick substance. Then just give it to her with a spoon if she will just lap it up.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can you mix it with something thick she likes, such as jelly, chocolate syrup, yogurt ect? If so it's easier to get things that separate to mix with a thick substance. Then just give it to her with a spoon if she will just lap it up.
I can try. The dose is literally like 2 drops! First it's hard to know if I'm even getting the actual medicine in the syringe or just the liquid it's mixed with, and then it separates so quickly. I don't like this med!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The other thing I need to be aware of is because she does have an intestinal infection, I need to be very careful about what I give her as it could make her diarrhea worse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts