Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone ~

Sorry about the post title; it dissapeared for some reason. It was supposed to be Question about Myco and a GI Problem.

My poor boy Linuce is acting funny again. A couple months ago he was treated for a URI with Batryl and Doxy... He's perked up a lot since then. He was always squinty with polysporin crust around his eyes and with a mild 'stuffy' nose sound that eventually turned into a clicking noise. The clicking sound improved a lot with the antibiotics but the stuffy' nose sound never fully disappeared. Recently, he also has a small amount of polystyrene around his nose. I'm assuming hes just one of those poor rats effected by myco... my other rat never has showed any symptoms (they are caged separately but close and often roam around together outside of the cage).

I've done a lot of research and I've decided to treat Linuce's ongoing symptoms with Tylosin. I know it is an old school method but reading suggests it would be a good and inexpensive thing to try and treat his mild symptoms. Of course, if that doesn't work... another trip to the vet is in order. I wish there were better vet options around here... *sigh*

So my first question is; how do rats with myco express symptoms? Are they just more prone to URIs or do they consistantly exhibity mild symptoms (like my Linuce).

Recently, he has become an extremely picky eater. I know this could be related to an URI but my gut feeling says its not. At first I thought he was constipated because his poops are much smaller then usual (half the size and dry looking). When I noticed this I went out and bought a bunch of fruit and veggies to push on him and his poops turned normal again. However, he gets tired of those foods real fast... But if I leave it out all night he eventually eats most everything I give him. So my second question is; what are some good food items that rats tend to LOVE and that also help with their bowel movements?

This is their daily diet;
Oxbow Regal Rat
Small amount of 'rat mix' food that contains seeds (for snack and entice them to eat more)
Fresh Veggies and Fruit (this week has been; spinach, tomato, broccoli, kiwi, apple).
Occasional Extra Treats (this week; small dab of plain or vanilla yogurt, small dab of premium brand chicken wet cat food).

I'm planning on getting them back on romaine lettuce and buying them some grapes for the week. Some have suggested Papya.

Thank you!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Four of my girls have had uri infections on and off for most of their lives. They are about 15 months old. I give them doxy .03 mg ( I believe) for 2 weeks and then they are fine for a month or two. Then, we are back on the meds. Just cycling on and off. Every once in awhile, they go longer without symptoms. My others haven't had any issues thus far. The four are sisters so perhaps they came from a weak line? As soon as I hear any chirping sounds or sneezing, I put them on medicine. My girls love peas in addition to blueberries, broccoli, cauliflower, red grapes, edamame, coconut milk yogurt...we are all vegan. They eat these things regularly and haven't had any issues. Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts