Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found myself in a situation that I never intended to be in.
Long story short, people have been calling me to take in rats that they no longer want. Many of the rescues have closed in my area and I guess the need was more than I ever realized in my limited experience.

Now, I do not have any little ones needing an e-spay. That has thankfully not happened yet. I pray that it doesnt. But after witnessing first hand the irresponsibility of a lot of these people, I can see that it is just a matter of time. I want to be prepared.

I love our vet that we use for the ratties. And while she DOES neuter, she does not spay. I have made calls for days - even calling as far as 50 miles away, trying to find a vet that will do this, SHOULD we ever need it. I want to be prepared for any and everything.

I live in the Dallas/Ft Worth area of Tx - does anyone know of a vet in that area that will e-spay?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Can't help you out with the vet but I can give you info and pics on spays in general. I keep a folder for medical stuff on my Photobucket since a pic is often worth a thousand words :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have, yes. She replied that it is just something that she doesnt feel that she has enough experience in doing. (way to inspire confidence, eh?)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
DFW_Rat_Luvr said:
She replied that it is just something that she doesnt feel that she has enough experience in doing. (way to inspire confidence, eh?)
i think that's wonderful that your vet won't do spays if she's not comfortable doing them. a rat is a tiny creature, and a spay is a very invasive procedure. what do you mean by "way to inspire confidence"? just cuz she doesn't want to spay doesn't mean she can't neuter, do dentals, TPLOs, etc just fine. :(

anywho, good luck with finding what you're looking for, wish i could help but i'm in colorado. :p

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'd much rather a vet tell me they don't feel confident spaying my rat than have her experiment on my pet and do harm. :(

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Very true Forensic, and there are a lot of vets that have people convinced that they are very knowlegeable rat vets when they don't know much at all, and even guess at dosages. I cannot even imagine what they would do in a surgical situation. 8O

I don't mind if a vet tells me they have never done something. :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OnlyOno said:
DFW_Rat_Luvr said:
She replied that it is just something that she doesnt feel that she has enough experience in doing. (way to inspire confidence, eh?)
i think that's wonderful that your vet won't do spays if she's not comfortable doing them. a rat is a tiny creature, and a spay is a very invasive procedure. what do you mean by "way to inspire confidence"? just cuz she doesn't want to spay doesn't mean she can't neuter, do dentals, TPLOs, etc just fine. :(

anywho, good luck with finding what you're looking for, wish i could help but i'm in colorado. :p
You are 100% right, and I was being judgemental - thank you for pointing that out! :)

I got annpyed w/ my cardiologist for 'not knowing everything' the other day and I was wrong there too. I need to remember that doctors of any kind, are not all-knowing...they are just as human as me :)

Thank you for the gentle reminder :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
There are no exotic schools for vets. The only way a vet can learn to work on small animals is by experience only and with a good exotic book, going to exotic seminars and staying up to date with the exotic journals.
My vet can do spays blind folded but only because she's done over 60+ of my own girls, and because more and more people are realizing the wonderful benefits of spaying. She had done some in the past but only a couple.
Experience and hands on work is key. But I do agree if a vet feels that incapable, then it wouldn't be wise to have her do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Try Southlake Animal Hospital in Southlake, TX....

They've always been excellent to me and my exotics... everyone in my family uses them for everything from cats and dogs to an African pygmy hedgehog and a Savannah monitor.

I've never owned a rat, so I have no idea if they spay specifically, but they're extremely nice and knowledgeable, so even if they don't, they could probably help you find someone who does.

(Hope it's not too far out for you)

·
Registered
75 Posts
hello, I'm sorry, but I dont know where one can spay rats. But would you mind telling me the vet office's name and the vet's name? I might be adopting two young boys, so I would like to know where I can get them safely neutered. Please and thank you ^U^

1 - 11 of 11 Posts