Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 2 female ratties, but have been looking at getting one male. I have heard that they can be more relaxed and cuddly. I love my 2 girls but they never really settle down on me (unless it's inside the hood of my hoodie). I wanted to ask if male rats are definitely more cuddly or if it depends on the rat. Also, is the scenting really bad? The smell of my girls is pretty much nothing as long as I wash the towels that line their cage on a regular basis - but I'm worried that if I get a male then I'll be having to do laundry every day or two. 8O

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have two boys and in their old cage they were very smelly. But, I didn't have a litter box for them. They have a bigger cage now, with a litter box. With non smelly litter stuff. and I can never smell them ever.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried to train my girls (rather unsuccessfully) to go in a litter box. Perhaps I wasn't diligent enough with them? Or perhaps if I provided a litter box (they don't have on in their bigger cage) would they gravitate towards using it?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've had tons of males and females and they are all unique in their own way. I've had some females more cuddly than my males. But that could be due to the fact that I keep all my rats slim and healthy so my males are just as active as my females. No squishy lazy rats for me. :)
Also, healthy males don't have a foul odour. They do have a mild corn chip smell but not offensive in the least.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If you did get a male it would probably be best to neuter him and let him live with the girls after the three week wait and introductions, etc. That way he'd have cagemates, they'd have a squishy male, and he'd mark less.

Of course, all males are different. Of my boys, about half are willing to cuddle on any given day, but when they were young, only one ever would. I suppose all babies are hyper. :lol: I have two that will never 'cuddle', though they're friendly enough they prefer to run about. The others depend mostly on mood. Only one is a very dependable cuddle-bug.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is, there's no guarentee the male will cuddle. Not to mention your females might be willing when they're older. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very good points Forensic thank you. I would definitely be keeping the male with the females (neutered of course - not wanting any oopses). I have heard that many rats mellow out with age and will usually be more willing to cuddle. Jorats - thanks for the tip on how they should smell. Honestly, cuddly or not I really just want more rats I suppose :) They are like tattoos or Pringles. Always want just one more. I have a huge FN cage so I know that I have enough room and I always try and devote enough time to either one on one or free range time. My boyfriend is looking on in horror wondering if I'm going to become a crazy rat lady. :p

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
You only have two!

Worries about crazy rat lady start somewhere after seven personal pet rats.

Or was it 17. 27?

I dunno.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh I know. I suppose the problem is that he really likes my rats - but he's a big bird person. We are looking at getting parrots in maybe 2 years. I've been reading everything I can on having small mammals with parrots and most things are very common sense and fairly positive. I guess he's just worried that suddenly there will be an explosion of rats and no room for any other animals :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts