Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short, I have a new baby female rat. Because she came from a less than ideal place, I wanted to treat her just in case for any possible parasites before letting her come in contact with my other rat. (However, I do believe I can actually see louse nits in her fur).

So my question is this: how long after applying Revolution do I need to wait before starting intros with my other rat? (I have already had her quarantined for almost 2 weeks, and she is seemingly healthy otherwise). Also, should I bathe her or do anything else above and beyond the Revolution?

I have already treated her, and it has been 2 days. Thanks in advance for any advice from some of you more experienced owners! :) I can't wait to start integrating them. :)

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I've never treated for lice, I've used it for mites. The general rule of thumb is to treat everyone in case you have accidentally transferred any mites from one rat to another on your hands or clothes.

In any event, usually within a week or a little over a week there are visible results that the revolution is working, two weeks on the safe side.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I used it for lice, the lice was dead within 24 hrs. Good thing about revolution is it last a month, protecting from reinfestation for a month.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
The facts that revolution can be "safely" overdosed and that it turns your rats into parasite killing sponges for a month are what makes it the treatment of choice. And the cost is reasonable.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I agree, I love the convenience and effectiveness of Revolution! I am just perhaps being overly cautious, but I hate to use chemicals unless necessary, no matter how safe they are deemed, so I would rather not treat Simon, who has always been healthy, unless I have to. I have been very careful about keeping them apart and washing hands, changing clothes, etc. I feel like everything we expose them to adds up cumulatively and affects their liver, immune system, etc for either better or worse. I'm not saying this is a life or death matter, and I am very thankful that Revolution exists as an option! Those are just some of my thoughts on the subject, for what little it might be worth... :)

Thanks again for the replies!

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have completely the same opinion of putting chemicals on my pets. However, in the case of parasites I do treat everyone. In the off chance it does get spread, you risk having to treat him anyways and maybe a second round on the new one.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I don't disagree at all. But if your rats share the same play area or cage or you handle them without washing or changing clothes it might be better to treat everyone once than treating them several times as they re-infect each other.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I have been busy & not had a chance to read these last responses, but very good points mentioned!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts