Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again and I again I see people recommending getting Wodent Wheels, and I had a couple of questions before I look into buying one (as I'll probably have to order it online).

1.) How easy are they to clean? The site said they could be disassembled, but I don't know how difficult it is.

2.) Do they attach to the cage somehow, or are they just on a stand?

3.) Has anyone had trouble with their rats not figuring out how to get inside it? (I want to make sure the girl that likes to run won't be too confused.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've never had a wodent wheel, but I did some reading on different wheels to find a non-noisy one so I could sleep while my rats ran. I ended up buying a silent spinner. It's really easy to clean because there are no sunken-in parts. Everything washes off with hot water.

Some people have mentioned that the silent spinners break easy because they can't hold a lot of weight, but I've seen both my rats running in it at the same time with no problems, so maybe the newer ones hold up better.

I'd recommend it as a good alternative if you can't find a wodent wheel or would rather not wait for it to be shipped.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Macabri said:
1.) How easy are they to clean? The site said they could be disassembled, but I don't know how difficult it is.

2.) Do they attach to the cage somehow, or are they just on a stand?

3.) Has anyone had trouble with their rats not figuring out how to get inside it? (I want to make sure the girl that likes to run won't be too confused.)
1. I find mine pretty easy to clean. I'm sure there are easier to clean wheels out there, but this one's not overly difficult. The trick is to replace the little metal clip they use to hold the wheel onto the axle- the one the wheel comes with is impossible! I use a "handle" that broke off of one of the little purse clips (binder clips?) and stick it through there instead, because it's much easier to get on and off. Everything pretty much rinses off with water and a little rub-down.

2. They're just on a stand, but I used to hang the stand from the ceiling with three zip ties, you could do that if you were short on floor space. And just the axle would be in the cage, so you could easily take off the dirty wheel part.

3. No troubles at all, they figured it out pretty quick. And both girls use it now, before one girl refused to use any wheel, and when I came back from vacation, viola! Sevilla was a runner.

My points-
4. The Wodent Wheel makes noise. The wheel itself is totally silent, but the little rat feet make something of a clatter when they're on it. It took me a few nights to get used to, so if it's in your bedroom and you're a light sleeper, you might want to consider something else. Otherwise, it's a cute sound, just not when I want to sleep!

5. If you were interested in an easy, albeit not totally cheap way to trim rat toenails, there's a sandpaper and mesh grid insert that I bought from a sugarglider website that really helps keep little rattie nails down. It's about $20 without the wheel, but I wasn't having luck with a brick, my girls refused to have their nails cut, and I'm allergic to their scratches. This helps a LOT, and it's super easy.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice! That's a great idea with the zip ties. I'll have to see if it will work in the new cage I ordered once it gets here.

I think I can handle the sounds of little rat feet, I just couldn't handle the squeak-a, squeak-a of the wheel that she has now. I'll also look into the sandpaper inserts, I was wondering if they were any good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts