Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have DCNs whose rats have the two whole cages to run in, do you use the Bass Pans both on the first AND second level, or just the first level? Also, do you have to do anything to the stainless steel to make them safe for the ratties, or are they good to go when you get them? Is it worth getting the stainless steel or should I just get the metal?

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have them, but don't have the upper tray (with cutout) yet, only 2 solid bottom pans. I do plan on getting the upper tray so that they can have both levels. I LOVE my stainless steel pans. You do not have to treat them with anything and they wash fine with soap and water. Mine haven't rusted or scratched yet and I got them at Christmas time. They are expensive, but they work great and I'm glad I got them. Btw, you can request an extra 1/2" in height for $6 per pan and I think it's worth it to help keep the litter in.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The cement mixing tubs are great, I use them in my single critter nation. But, you do lose a little space because of the shape. They fit perfectly though and are cheap, easy to clean, and do a great job at keeping bedding IN the cage and not all over the floor, lol. I have the Bass pans in my DCN and I got them for both levels. I didn't get the extra 1/2" but I should have because paper bedding gets everywhere. I switched to pellets (Yesterday's News) and so far that seems to be working better. Go for the stainless steel, definitely.

·
Registered
870 Posts
You don't have to do anything to the stainless steel pans. I didn't get the stainless (I don't think they were available when I got mine) so I painted mine with epoxy, but stainless is safe as it is. I do use them on both the top and the bottom at least in part because the rats had chewed both plastic pans so badly when I bought the metal pans that both pans had to be replaced. I always used fleece so bedding getting everywhere was not a concern.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts