Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a poor woman on a disability income and could never afford a vet without a lot of saving and call me crewel it's hard to spend more on the vet then the whole animal (sorry for being awful I am poor) . I have everything I need and enough credits to get 2 free ones from my local PetSmart. I also smoke weed and only weed (don't judge please we're all human) I have a few questions.
1.How much food of what kind is best
2.How much meat veggies and nuts do I give extra?
3.Is an aquarium (it's 40+ gallon) ok? I will add levels and a hammock and toys
4.I don't have a/c what is too hot and how to keep them cool enough.
5.Can I smoke my weed in my bathroom with the fan on exhaling into it with them in my living room (1 bedroom 400 sq ft apartment)
6.Do I want males or females and do I want 1 or 2
7.Do they require check ups and shots like a dog
8. I use incense to meditate and to hide smoke smell I have an electric oil diffuser or use fiberize to hide my smoke too. Is any of this safe
9.How to play with them and what toys do they like to play with and or chew teeth down on.
10.Do they need vitamin drops like guinea pigs
11.Running wheel inside and a "giant hamster ball" for out the cage good ways to exercise them. Don't if possible want them just running around I have carpet
To those that are willing to take the time to help answer this hopefully soon to be rat mama thank you so much

·
Registered
Harald Fairhair & Pilgore the Destroyer, Barney, Karma
216 Posts
I'm a poor woman on a disability income and could never afford a vet without a lot of saving and call me crewel it's hard to spend more on the vet then the whole animal (sorry for being awful I am poor) . I have everything I need and enough credits to get 2 free ones from my local PetSmart. I also smoke weed and only weed (don't judge please we're all human) I have a few questions.
1.How much food of what kind is best
2.How much meat veggies and nuts do I give extra?
3.Is an aquarium (it's 40+ gallon) ok? I will add levels and a hammock and toys
4.I don't have a/c what is too hot and how to keep them cool enough.
5.Can I smoke my weed in my bathroom with the fan on exhaling into it with them in my living room (1 bedroom 400 sq ft apartment)
6.Do I want males or females and do I want 1 or 2
7.Do they require check ups and shots like a dog
8. I use incense to meditate and to hide smoke smell I have an electric oil diffuser or use fiberize to hide my smoke too. Is any of this safe
9.How to play with them and what toys do they like to play with and or chew teeth down on.
10.Do they need vitamin drops like guinea pigs
11.Running wheel inside and a "giant hamster ball" for out the cage good ways to exercise them. Don't if possible want them just running around I have carpet
To those that are willing to take the time to help answer this hopefully soon to be rat mama thank you so much
Do not use an aquarium, you need to get yourself an actual cage and one that is big enough because they will get sick from the ammonia from their pee. Open up the windows in the room if its too hot or put on a fan. Don't smoke in front of the rats and no incense will make them choke. Vet costs really are not too bad. They only need to go to the vet when there is something up with them and no they don't really need check ups or shots or anything. When i took my rats to the vet it only cost me like like 75 bucks and most of it was just the flea meds. Do not get them until you have everything ready for them. No they don't need vitamin drops. They really don't need a wheel, they just need atleast an hour outside of their cage and stuff inside their cage. As for boys or girls, think of it like cats. I prefer boys because they tend to be like more lazy and cuddly like tomcats. Bird toys work well for rats, but toys you can make very easily yourself for free with card board boxes and toilet paper tubes.

This is the cage i have for my rats and its great for 2 rats, but no more then 2. If the price is too much then just hold off on getting the rats until you have about 300 saved up to get this cage and the oxbow rat food which is the best food for them. You also need to get 2 rats. You cannot have one it isn't fair for the rat to be alone all his life.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Rats are cheap to feed and look after but a decent cage is an expense.Also you must be able to set some money aside for vet bills,rats are prone to chest infections.Hamster balls are a no no for any rodent ,they disable them as rodents map their surroundings with their whiskers,so you would need to have somewhere where they can stretch their legs and have a wander.Some people use a playpen or even the bed if it is not safe to let them in a room.Their food can be supplemented with a bit of human food now and then,a little bit of fruit,small amounts of meat occasionally,they love cooked pasta,rice and noodles.Too many greens cause diarrhoea.Rats make great companion animals and will certainly enrich your life you now need to have a think if you can provide them with a great life too.Good Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rats are cheap to feed and look after but a decent cage is an expense.Also you must be able to set some money aside for vet bills,rats are prone to chest infections.Hamster balls are a no no for any rodent ,they disable them as rodents map their surroundings with their whiskers,so you would need to have somewhere where they can stretch their legs and have a wander.Some people use a playpen or even the bed if it is not safe to let them in a room.Their food can be supplemented with a bit of human food now and then,a little bit of fruit,small amounts of meat occasionally,they love cooked pasta,rice and noodles.Too many greens cause diarrhoea.Rats make great companion animals and will certainly enrich your life you now need to have a think if you can provide them with a great life too.Good Luck
Thank you so much I appreciate the time you took answering me. You're a big help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answer and I am truly greatful. This info helps immensely. I will definitely get something better then this aquarium I just had it on hand. and the ball was to keep him safe. But I see what you mean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts