Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have always used litter in the whole floor of my cages. I have seen other people use fleece as the floor and have a small litter pan. I would like to do this but do not kno the details i need tips.... Is there anything i need to know. Any important things.... Please just pretend im completely ignorant on the topic and explain about everything u can so i can successfully do this thanks ! : )))))))

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well since nobody posted on this i just laid down some newsprint until they are potty trained then ill move up to cloth flooring.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You can expect a few things from fabric

1. holes are to be expected in abundance
2. it doesn't look as pretty with poop on it
3. fleece is the choice fabric but can be pricey

A Few Tips

1. change fabric often. You'd be suprised on how quickly it becomes pee-tastic.
2. use binder clips or paper clips to hold fabric in place
3. don't expect your ratties to always poo in their litter box.
* I swear my ratties were litter trained for a month then they reverted!
4. ratties don't care what color their fabric is. Get the discount stuff!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol thanks alot!

So use binder clips and paper clips to hold the fabric on?

·
Registered
100 Posts
If they're anything like my two guys the will still figure out a way to chew it and pull it out. I hav my fleece on the bottom of the plastic portion of the cage and the actual cage portion sits on top of it and was SUPPOSED to hold it in place. They pull and chew at it until it comes loose and then they seem content and leave it alone.

However, I have noticed they only did that for the first couple of weeks and don't seem to do it anymore. Another thing I do is give them something different to chew frequently. Old toilet paper roll, cork, or just something different to pique their curiosity. At the moment their favorite chew toy is their new cushioned sleeper bed I bought them.

I think you also just have to resign yourself to the fact that they are rats and they are naturally curious and like to chew.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do they chew at the sides and corners of the cage because i noticed rats will try to chew through the fabric thinking maybe they can escape to join there owner on the bed or play a simple game of catch em now! lol =)

try to keep replacing the fabric and covering the holes until they give up on chewin it up!! like ratscals said... Rats will get bored and find something else to obsess about =)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts