Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a small bag to add to my girls rat mix they get , I order my mix from crafyrat and I did notice she has a small amount of dog kibble in her mix , I'am having a hard time getting all the girls to eat the Harlan Tekland lab blocks , I usually put in 4 or 5 blocks with their mix everyday , the mix they love but later I find the lab blocks stashed away some where I really don't think they are eating to many of them so I thought I would add maybe 4 or 5 pieces of this dog food to their mix , the only thing bad I see in the food is the protein level it's 25 percent here are the ingredients
Chicken , pea protein , Tapioca , Ground oats , Eggs , Brown Rice , Egg whites , flaxseed , Natural chicken flavor , Dicalcium Phoisphate , Cranberries , Chicken fat , carrots , Peas , potassium chloride ,salt , calcium carbonate , spinach , Inulin minerals (Zinc Proteinate , Iron Proteinate , Sodium Selenite , Calcium Iodate ) Choline Chloride , Green Tea Extract , Vitamins Vitamin E Niacin , Calcium , Pantothenate , Vitamin A Supplement , Riboflavin , Vitamin D3 Supplement , Viatamin B12 Supplement , Thiamine , Mononitrate, Pyridoxine , Folic Acid
ok so comments please , I will still feed them their lab blocks just wanted to try a little in their mix

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Its not awful from looking at the ingredients, though I prefer natural fish based kibble, however it will increase the protein content of whatever its added to, as 25% is higher than a rat needs (you want about 12-14% for an adult). If you've got babies it could be useful, I quite often add a small amount of extra kibble to my mix when I have very young rats to artificially boost the mixes over all protein levels. If you've got oldies though this isn't a good idea.

The trouble with the crafty rat mix is that its shown as a treat or addition, which means its not balanced on its own. That's not to say you can make a perfectly good mix that's balanced, but in this case its hard to tell if the mix is going to meet your rats requirements on its own (the ingredients are fine in it, but there's no info on amounts or indicated protein / fat for me to tell if its going to be fine).

Instead since your rats prefer to eat something more varied (I cant blame them lol) why not look into making your own balanced mix. It takes a bit of work but is very rewarding, you can use that kibble as the protein element of the mix

1 - 3 of 3 Posts