Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am very excited to say I am the proud friend of two new little ratties in my home! Here is a link to their cage and them, it's my "Meet my Rat" post. Check it out if interested!

http://www.ratforum.com/forumdisplay.php?31-Meet-My-Rat

Anyways, on to the questions.

1: I am going to be getting another 1-2 rats here in a few days. I was going to get more when I first got these little guys, but petsmart sold the other one to some idiot, as they only bought ONE, and not TWO. But I digress. Since it will be in a few days, will I be able to just put the new rats in the cage and be okay? I don't have another cage to introduce them, so I can't do that. Will they be okay, or will there be some massive fight lmao. Help here?

2: This is my main and most important question. How the **** can I rat proof my room. They can't get outside my room, where my cats would make nice little snacks out of them, they can't get through my vents, but I have a dresser, a bed, part of my desk, a closet, and a bunch of wires for my computer where I play games at. Any help? It's going to be a daunting task, but I am going to let my little guys run free out of their cages for a while everyday, and I want to make sure it's safe for them. Any help here?

3: What to do when I get them out of the cage? Activities, toys, etc?

That's really all for now, any help you could provide would be amazing, as I'm a novice and need some help here. Thanks!

Registered
1. I always quarantine so I wouldn't get more for two weeks so you know your existing guys are ok and I would then quarantine any newcomers for two weeks, so I'd get a spare cage. It's also useful for if intros go badly, you need to be able to separate them if needed. 2. Rats chew, be prepared for that. We ratproof cables using cable tidy and have sacrificed the skirting boards 馃槈3. Mine have a big cardboard castle, a laundry bin full of fleece scraps to dig in and various chew toys dotted about ( they still prefer the skirting boards)

Registered
For playtime area, you should use the bathroom, as long as the gap in the door isn't an inch thick or more , and you can put cereal boxes and make castles out of them for them to play with. You should also introduce them to the new rats in the bathroom. And you should quarantine the new rats for a week to make sure they aren't sick because you don't want to have 3 sick rats instead of 1.

Registered
When introducing rats, you should be putting them in a neutral zone to start off with.
When I've introduced my rats I start off in a bath tub, allow them to sniff eachother/wrestle if need be.

As long as there isn't any blood or serious injury, then all is well.
I will do this for at least an an 45 minutes-hour.

I put yogurt on my fingers and allow my rats (new & residential) to lick yogurt off.
This is trust training and bonding all in one, so I think this is a pretty important thing to do.

Then, I set up my recliner (cover it in blankets, food, water, snacks, etc) .. I put their food and water on a stool right next to the recliner and allow my rats to sit on my lap. This isn't a neutral zone anymore, so I'm able to monitor carefully... *Only do this if you feel that the bath tub session went accordingly* Then I allow my rats to sit on me for several hours. They're usually all cuddling with 10 minutes.. Haha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts