Rat Forum banner

Questions on rats.

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  plushielove 
#1 ·
Okay well I'm probably going to adopt a triplet of rats next year from a rescue near me. I want to know all that I can before getting them (I do that with all pets) like how long do they normally live for? Is a 1 level FN good for 3? Is it better for a beginner to get a pair or triplet of females or males? Are the roll-about-balls bad for rats? Can you put bird toys in the cage as regular toys? Can you use fleece as bedding (i've seen it used before)? How big of a wheel should I use and what are the best ones out there for rats (eg. the most silent)? How much out of the cage time do they need? Uhmm....that's all I can think of so far, I'll post more if I have any other questions. Sorry about all the questions.

#2 ·
plushielove said:
how long do they normally live for?
On average about 2-3 years.

plushielove said:
Is a 1 level FN good for 3?
Yes, the model 141 FN can hold 6 rats comfrotably. Though, females ten to be able to slip through the bars, if you get this cage be prepared to buy hardware cloth and cover the sides.

plushielove said:
Is it better for a beginner to get a pair or triplet of females or males?
This is dependant on what you want. It has nothing to do with being a 'beginner', just what you're looking to get out of a rat.

plushielove said:
Are the roll-about-balls bad for rats?
Yes, typically rats don't like to be in an enclosed space like that. Also, urine and fecal buildup will make it pretty nasty. :(

plushielove said:
Can you put bird toys in the cage as regular toys?
Yes.

plushielove said:
Can you use fleece as bedding (i've seen it used before)?
Of course, just be sure to wash every other day and give it an extra rinse for those sensitive ratty noses. :)

plushielove said:
How big of a wheel should I use and what are the best ones out there for rats (eg. the most silent)?
Generally, 12 inch wheels are best. Solid surface, also, so no toes or tails get caught and hurt. Wodent Wheels and Comfort Wheels are good, but Comfrot Wheels tend to warp with age and get noisy. I've bnever had a silent wheel in my life. x_X

plushielove said:
How much out of the cage time do they need?
As much as you can afford. :D

#3 ·
Vixie said:
This is dependant on what you want. It has nothing to do with being a 'beginner', just what you're looking to get out of a rat.
Yup.

Look for personalities you like. Boys tend to be more laid back and squishy, girls are more hyper and playful. But each rat is different so ask the rescue what each one seems to be like.

plushielove said:
Can you put bird toys in the cage as regular toys?
Yes. But watch for paints that aren't non-toxic or pine/cedar wood, which isn't very good for the ratties.

plushielove said:
Can you use fleece as bedding (i've seen it used before)?
Yes. Generally this is used with a litter box so that there is much less mess. :)

#4 ·
Okay thanks for all the answers. I think I'm going to get 2 boys or 3 girls...I'm still not sure though. And for the wheels are silent spinners good for rats? I've never seen the biggest size in person but I have a 2 little ones for hamsters and those are SUPER DOOPER QUIET!

#6 ·
the wheel thing i think is really dependent on whether they had a wheel to use as a baby. mozart never had one as a baby, and when i got her at 2-3 months old, it was already too late and she didn't know what to do with the wheel in her new home. she has never run in it or shown any inclination to do so. picasso runs 3-4 hours a night and would probably go crazy without it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.