Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've got two sets of boys:

Set One: Jake, Finn and Beemo - From a breeder, about 4 months old now. All pretty chill, goofy, lovey.

Set Two: Prismo and Billy - Hairless, from a rescue, we're guessing around the 6 month mark-ish in age. Finally getting more used to being pet rats and being loved on by people, not biters by any means, but they were skittish when we first got them. They're a good bit bigger than the three boys.

After the initial quarantine, I tried intros. It went badly. No blood drawn, but after an hour of them just making each other miserable I gave in and divided the DCN and decided that would be that until everyone got fixed and maybe hormones would calm down (all five are still in tact). Well, fixing has been put on pause for the time being due to finances (besides, it's not like it's an imperative thing from what I understand - No one NEEDS to get fixed, it just makes our lives easier), and today after cleaning the cage, I thought about trying, again, for an introduction.

Opinions? Thoughts? Worth a shot? I've introduced rats before, so this wouldn't be a first for me - I know about neutral territory (bathroom is my preferred place) and scrubbing down the cage to make it neutral territory itself again as well should things work out so no one is beating anyone else up for sleeping in their spot.

My question is primarily this - If it didn't work once, what are the chances of it working the second time?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I think you should try again. What I would do. Let them have some playtime together every day for a few days. When you return them to their cages - put the guys that have been in the top into the bottom and the guys that are living in the bottom into the top. Switch them back and forth from cage to cage each day after playtime and see how it's going in two or three days.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Have you looked at the carrier method thread? That worked for me. My first intros failed because my new girls were just too small/young and the alpha was being a bully. Gave it a couple weeks, tried the carrier method and it worked great. I have not tried to introduce adults to adults though. Especially male adults to male adults. Also since you have girls, say that this doesn't work even after neutering... you would have the option to house the girls and the two new boys together?! Just a thought but I hope that the boys can successfully be introduced!
http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?193945-Introducing-Rats-using-the-Carrier-Method

1 - 3 of 3 Posts