1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ppls,
I have a few questions. And input on these would be awesome
.:::Here goes:::.

1) What do you line the bottom of your cage with and is it good stuff? Does it absorb urine and bad smells? And how often do you change it??
(I will probly be changing my litter once everyday and giving it a thorough clean once every week)

2)What toys do you give your little fur-kids??

3)What foods (if any) are ratties not to have???

Thanx kindly to you all

·
Registered
330 Posts
1)I have kittly litter with some hay on top, the seem to like it
2)they have some hammocks,tubes,shoe bozes,plastic comtainers, and a weird metal ball....i dont know why but i just bought it whem i first got them.
3)it sayd on the sticky in the health forum called diet what food they can and cant have but from my knowlage i know they cant have poppy seedes, i think...but ya look at the thread

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi, hopefully im some help :D

1) Most people use fleece (for wire cages to cover platforms and ramps)
Or carefresh or shredded aspen, if you have a drap pan.

2) Hammocks, balls, jingle balls, Wheels but they might not be interested in them, cardboard tubes, basically everything!

3) Here is a link to these forums that will help you. :D
http://www.ratforum.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=3079.html

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
1 - I use towels to line my cages. Fleece seems to be more popular, but I found it to not be very absorbant, and towels are meant to soak up liquid ;) I'm currently still using Carefresh in their litter boxes, but I don't recommend it, for litter or bedding (for litter, go with Yesterday's News, or for bedding Carefresh Ultra). The towels get changed once or twice a week, depending on the location of the towel. My girls spend most of their time in the upper level, so the towels there need to be changed more frequently.

2 - Wheels! All 6 of my girls are wheel-crazy. I put one in my boys' cage a few days ago, and so far only one of them has started to use it sometimes, but I'm confident a Wodent Wheel will convert them all ^_^ They also have boxes, some with scraps of fabric in them and some with shredded paper, and plastic ferret tunnels. Hammocks aren't really toys, but my girls seem to enjoy climbing on them (they have to use hammocks to get to their favorite sleeping basket). Some rats do sleep in them, but I've only seen a hammock being slept in maybe two or three times. One of my boys likes jingly ball cat toys, and one time I had a little mouse cat toy (no catnip) that I got for maybe a quarter somewhere, and they would take turns carrying it around and hiding it in boxes or covering it with litter. It was like they thought it was a baby rat they had to take care of. So cute!

3 - I concur with reading the food sticky in the health section ^_^

1 - 5 of 5 Posts