Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a few questions so not sure where to add them and rather than make multiple posts think its easier to put them all in one post.

1: cage, i live in the uk so as much as i like the critter nation which looks great i have decided on the savic royal suite 95, a little expensive but means i can move it when i need to, but my question is, i see people using fleece for the bottoms of their cages so could i use vet bed instead?

2: also cage wise is the savic ok space wise for 2 boys? who i read need more floor space

3: food, what mix do people give to their rats? homemade or store brought?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can answer The third question: it is advised u get a well trusted lab block brand such as oxbow and make it interesting by adding healthy veggies and fruit (that are good for rats of course) and some unsweetened honey nut cherrios. A healthy treat like yoggies are great and ratties just LOVE them. Good luck with the ratties!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Hi. Welcome to the forum.

1. That cage looks great. Im not sure what vet bed is, so Im sorry I cant answer that.

2. Yes that is perfect amount of space. You could probably even add a few more rats in the future if you wanted to.

3. the UK has a bit of a different diet then the US. They prefer mixes and it is usually part homemade and part buying a premade.
I would check out these links for a more UK focus
http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk/shunamite.shtml
http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=43&sid=2277f2a7fb085d897b36daa363bd95a5

·
Registered
918 Posts
The Savic Royal Suite is a great cage, I got one for my three girls I'm picking up this week. So two rats will fit VERY comfortably in it.

The vet bed looks nice, but seems to cost a lot compared to prices you can buy fleece. I think many folks suggest fleece because it's relatively inexpensive. You can buy it at both craft/fabric stores, and as blankets at stores such as ikea for great prices.

What moonkissed says is correct UK and European countries do favor mixes more than just giving them lab blocks. The links that moonkissed posted are ones I've been following myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it is expensive but for some reason my mom had ordered some for her dog and got 3 meters of it so there's about 2 meters left and its taking up room in my bedroom so if it can be used then i don't need to run out and buy fleece quite so fast.

i have read the shunamite one but its by volume or scoops and not sure i could work that out, i much prefer to work by weight, at the moment i am reading the fancy rats one so hopefully that will give me a better idea

1 - 7 of 7 Posts