Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was shopping around during a Halloween sale at my work, and noticed how many of those plastic pumpkin buckets were left over. I got a few, having the sudden idea to turn them into quick and easy little houses/huts/nests for the boy's cage. Its really fast and easy to do, and a great way to give my boys a new place to snuggle up now that its getting colder out. c:

Here's what I did:

Jack-o'-lantern Calabaza Pumpkin Orange trick-or-treat
First I took the pumpkin and washed it out with soap and water (you never know what they've had on/in them)

Orange Headgear Chair Plant Furniture
Next, I cut off the handle of it.

Orange Technology Helmet Hand Electronic device
Then I started poking holes in the bottom...
Helmet Headgear Personal protective equipment Cap Ball
Two holes on each side, like so.

Ball Sports equipment Basketball Soccer ball
After that, I used zip ties to attach it to the side of the cage (though I'm sure you can use different things to attach it). I put a little bit of fleece in there, and ta-da! Quick, cheap and easy hut/house/nest. c:

Just thought I'd share, for anyone looking for easy little hidey places for their ratties!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool! Great idea for the colder months. :)
I thought it might be! I like to keep my windows open in the cooler months (yay for AZ not dropping to freezing temperatures during the winter), and needed more little houses for my babies so they could cuddle up and keep warm. Just one of the buckets cost me a quarter, so it was a really cheap and easy project. They're pretty sturdy as well, and the buckets comfortably house two of my larger boys (though they all like to try and squeeze into one even if they don't fit!). Honestly I might go back and get more buckets, just because of the price.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is really cute! It opens a lot more possibilities! Zip ties are the bomb.
I love zip ties. I usually get the longer ones that can gold a lot of weight; some of my boys are rather chubby, haha. But the buckets are awesome, I ended up putting all but two in the DCN I've got set up for my boys...So they've got about five buckets in there, and they just love them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I saw a bunch of those pumpkins on sale this weekend and almost bought some to do this exact same thing! Only I don't have ratties at the moment so I passed them by. I might just go back and get one or two through, because I doubt we will be ratless long!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.