Rat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Kleo, Manta, Bean
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this is a bit long but please please please read it, I'm really shaken up and shaking!

So just a couple of minutes ago I was hanging out with the rats so that they were in the cage and I was just there and I was feeding them mushed banana from my hand.. and they loved it.. a lot.. too much I guess.. because.. yes I have no idea how it could be the banana's fault but they went absolutely nuts.. they've never been quite like this before. They were trying THEIR HARDEST to get to climb on the open door of the cage and they were constantly sniffing and wanting to go to this certain direction so I was like what is happening???
and then I was like.. could it be the banana mush bowl on the table on that side.. like.. two meters away?? and I decided to get rid of it and just have some on my hand and they ate it but they were still going nuts and then ofc two of them managed to get on the door and oh gosh one even got on top of the cage from the door and she was.. I don't know.. kinda overwhelmed up there I'm guessing and just kinda running around and looked like she was trying to get back in the cage, she was sniffing downwards and seemed kinda panicked..
so.. I tried to stay calm but I was kinda panicking too already and I just had to just take her with like the bird type of grip because what else could I have done and she made a few peeps when I caught her and that pretty much broke my heart and at that point another rat had gotten on the door and I couldn't take a risk she would go on the roof of the cage too so I had to grab her too and she peeped/squeaked the same way and it broke my heart as well.. it wasn't like too loud of a squeak but just a couple of squeaks.. but it was awful.. and now I'm just so so shaken up and literally shaking and I don't know what to do really, I'm scared to go back up to the cage because I'm scared to open the door for them 馃様馃槶馃様馃槶

What even happened.. I'm so scared.. that was really scary for me and I bet for them.. they were still trying to climb the door though even after I had to grab them and put them back in and when I was already closing the door.. but.. just.. what????????
I feel like I've failed and I'm just so so nervous..

Registered
Kleo, Manta, Bean
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh no try to get them into a dark plush space that calms my rattos down majorly
best regards
Thank you for the answer!! 馃А They actually calmed down real fast and just went to their sleeping spots and now they are up and about again exploring and eating in their cage.. I'm not quite as calm yet though and I have no clue what happened and why and what I should do

Registered
It sounds like they were just climbing on the outside of the cage? That's normal. No need to panic. It's okay if they climb to the top of the cage. It's also okay that you picked them up. If they're still not used to being picked up, they may peep a little bit. That will go away the more you handle them.

Registered
Kleo, Manta, Bean
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like they were just climbing on the outside of the cage? That's normal. No need to panic. It's okay if they climb to the top of the cage. It's also okay that you picked them up. If they're still not used to being picked up, they may peep a little bit. That will go away the more you handle them.
Thank you so much for this! This really made me feel better.. thank you!!
Yes, they were climbing on the outside of the cage. Also yeah, they are not yet used to being picked up since I've have them for just a little over a week now.. it really scared me when they peeped but yeah it does make sense since they haven't really been picked up by me like that before. Seriously thank you, that was my first weird scary experience with rats ever and it just really freaked me out

Registered
Bandit, Biscuit, and Sage
Rats love climbing to the top of their cage and there really is no danger. They have incredible balance and I've only once ever had a rat fall off, and that's when he climbed onto something unstable and it fell with him on it! He was fine thank goodness!

Registered
Kleo, Manta, Bean
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rats love climbing to the top of their cage and there really is no danger. They have incredible balance and I've only once ever had a rat fall off, and that's when he climbed onto something unstable and it fell with him on it! He was fine thank goodness!
Thank you!! I'm glad to know it's common for them to want to do that and that it's safe! I guess I mostly worried if they were going to climb down the sides on the floor since they were supposed to be in their cage and the room was not in a very rat proofed state at that moment so I was like.. oh gosh.. am I gonna have three crazy rats escaping their cage into a big room full of random stuff?? But yeah.. luckily it ended.. okay.. just.. I was reeeeally shaken up by having to pick them up and back to the cage and them peeping and stuff

Registered
Kleo, Manta, Bean
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My rats love to climb on their cage!
Thank you! That's good to hear, maybe I'll just let them do that some day soon when I've cleared up the room so that IF anyone were to somehow climb on the floor, it wouldn't be too big of a catastrophe (other than I would have no idea how to get them back in the cage at that point)

Registered
Bandit, Biscuit, and Sage
Thank you!! I'm glad to know it's common for them to want to do that and that it's safe! I guess I mostly worried if they were going to climb down the sides on the floor since they were supposed to be in their cage and the room was not in a very rat proofed state at that moment so I was like.. oh gosh.. am I gonna have three crazy rats escaping their cage into a big room full of random stuff?? But yeah.. luckily it ended.. okay.. just.. I was reeeeally shaken up by having to pick them up and back to the cage and them peeping and stuff
I've never had my rats climb down the sides in the many hours they've been on top of their cage. While they can go down headfirst they don't like it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts