Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so in addition to the two rats I ended up with earlier, another of my friends also brought me a bunny they found. He's really small...I wanna say no mre than a few months old. I was wondering if the rats might get along with him (I checked, bunny is a male). I am not housing them together, I've got a spare cage that the bunny is using for now (I ordered a proper one just a few hours ago), but I was wondering if it'd be okay to let the rats and the bunny roam around together? I don't want to keep them all locked away 24/7 (my current boys are already used to being out whenever I'm home, but I had to cut their playtime short because of the bunny.

Here's a pic of said bunny; he's only a little bigger than my biggest rat. About the size of two and a half large rats put together, I'd say (sorry for poor quality, my camera is being really odd).

Nose Skin Domestic rabbit Rabbits and Hares Head

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I had a part wild rat that drove the feral cats off of my property and killed small animals on sight and another rat that wouldn't kill a bug and stole food from my daughter's mice without bothering them...

This is one of those things like cats and dogs living together, sometimes it works a treat and sometimes it ends badly and there are certain risks involved in finding out. Some time ago someone did an immersion session with their rats and their dog... the plan was to bond her new rats both to her and to her dog and it actually worked.... rats, human and dog became best friends... but I could just as easily imagine how many things might have gone wrong...

It's a risk, and if you do it, I'd suggest you stay very close, but it's up to you.

Best luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I did just a general search online about this and it seems like it's just not a good idea. The rats could bite the rabbit, the rabbit could bite the rats. Some people introduce them and it works out, but even if you did that you'd never be able to have them unsupervised together. It's really up to you. I don't think it's worth the risk.

My own story: I had been letting my dog, who is known to be gentle with other pets, sniff my rats and let them crawl on his back for a long time. While I was sitting on the couch right there with them, one of my rats somehow spooked my dog by nipping him or just a claw on his skin or something. I don't know what happened. I picked up my rat as my dog jerked his head around. I'm not sure if he was going to intend on biting my rat and he didn't seem upset afterwards, but I won't take a chance ever again just incase he was about to try to bite her.
Also once I held one of my young boys in front of my mom's cat so they could look at each other and he rocketed right out of my hands because it scared him and I had to go catch him.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
It is strongly suggested not to let rats & rabbits play together. Rabbits have a strong kick and could easily injure a rat, as well as the rat injuring the rabbit.

I always say it is just not worth the risk. Something could happen in a split second before you could do anything to stop it and would u be able to live with the consequences? :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone. I think that honestly if I was going to introduce Calcifer (bunny) to nay of my rats, it would probably just be Romeo, and only under supervision. I just didn't want my little bun feeling lonely...He doesn't seem to be suffering though in the time I've had him though. He's a very happy little bun from what I can tell.
I just thought I'd ask since my rats are used to free-ranging basically at all times when I'm home.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Rats and rabbits don't make good companions. The rat might be curious about the rabbit, but the rabbit will feel threatened by the rat. Rabbits can lunge and bite a rat in a second for self defense. Please keep them separated.

If you plan on keeping this bunny long-term you'll need to get him a pen because rabbits are not happy living in cages. Also, it's crucial to have them spayed/neutered to avoid health and behavior problems down the road. Rabbits make wonderful pets, but they have very specific care requirements and you should know what you're getting into. Do some reading here on housing, diet, etc. http://rabbit.org/frequently-asked-questions/

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rats and rabbits don't make good companions. The rat might be curious about the rabbit, but the rabbit will feel threatened by the rat. Rabbits can lunge and bite a rat in a second for self defense. Please keep them separated.

If you plan on keeping this bunny long-term you'll need to get him a pen because rabbits are not happy living in cages. Also, it's crucial to have them spayed/neutered to avoid health and behavior problems down the road. Rabbits make wonderful pets, but they have very specific care requirements and you should know what you're getting into. Do some reading here on housing, diet, etc. http://rabbit.org/frequently-asked-questions/
I've actually had rabbits before, so I knew what I was getting into when my friend brought the little bun to me. I was just curious about the rats/rabbits situation. ^^;
Thank you for the link though, that'll help me brush up on my bunny-keeping. Its been a long time since I've had a rabbit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Seconding everyone's consensus that free-ranging rats and buns probably isn't a good idea, but I got pretty excited when I saw this thread title so I though it might be a place to discuss my extenuating circumstances:

My rabbit has been sick with an ear infection for a few months now and we've been nursing him to health since before I brought my current rats home from the shelter. Bunny is incapable of free movement due to a ruptured ear drum and so we have to wrap him in a blanket and give him medications about 4 times a day. I'll sometimes do this on my bed and then let him cuddle with me for a while. I also let my rats free range on my bed and they've taken quite a liking to the rabbit from these encounters - they love to burrow in his fur and play with his ears. Bunny tolerates this pretty well and he actually seems to like it when the rats pet his head, but they're always under extremely close supervision and I make sure that Bunny's teeth can't get near the rats and the rats don't go crazy and nip his ears.

There's not really a moral to this story, I guess. Still a bad idea to introduce Bunnies and rats under normal circumstances, but under special non-nippy non-moving circumstances I'd like to think that rats and rabbits could be friends.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts