Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This last URI has hit Gus really hard.
He was starting to recover when the ragweed pollen count hit really high and he has not recovered since. It's been two weeks and he can barely eat, he won't even take very much baby food right now.

I am nebulizing him twice a day, giving him medicine and baby food, and keeping everything extra clean

but the ragweed count is going to rise again and be in the high levels the rest of the week. I just don't know what else to do to help him at this point.
I'm very frustrated that the contractor left my home unfinished, there is an opening along the outside edge of the wall and I'm sure there's plenty of pollen getting into the house through that.

What else can I be doing to help him?
((I am going to make a vet appointment this week, too))

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
You could duct tape closed all the openings where the ragweed is coming in. You could also try and get a filter. Im really sorry you are going through this.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Poor boy! Could it be allergies aggravating his respiratory system which in turn causes the URIs?

Ask your vet about using an allergy med for him and see if that helps. You can use children's liquid benadryl. Since you're going to the vet soon, maybe print this page and bring it with you to see what the vet says and what does to give him? http://ratguide.com/meds/respiratory_drugs/diphenhydramine_hcl.php

I hope it's allergies that can be fixed with meds. Poor little guy. If buying a fancy air filter is too expensive (they usually are, but are very helpful if you can get one), you can do a makeshift one and buy a box fan and attach a vent filter to cover the fan and that helps to filter air in a similar was as an actual air filter machine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYnwUs4zW2M

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I have an airfilter and he is actively on azyth and children's benadryl all the time..

He always seems to get an infection when the ragweed peaks (which I know because I am super allergic to it too).

Fortunately his apetite seems to have come back for today- he took over 3mL of baby food today.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Poor Poppet! I hope he feels better soon!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for your kind words, and thoughts.

He has a vet appointment for Friday.
Currently he is in a quarantine cage so that he can have full access to soft foods without his brother interfering. I haven't gotten him to eat as much in one go, so I'm hoping having all his food on one level will help. Also put in a pillow so he can elevate his head like he's already been doing. His brother has been helping to fuss over him, he lets Gus use him as a pillow and brings him hard food, but Gus is not interested in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts