Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if a thread like this exists or has existed before and failed... I didn't come across one.

I figure this is a good way for everybody to chat in one big thread about all the randomness! Weather... general life stuff... whatever, ya know! A big thread that can consist of whatever topics, and stays active.

Maybe this will stick, maybe it won't, might as well try. I noticed it on other forums, so! Perhaps it can bring us all together even more.

I'll start with something simple... the weather has been so hormonal this past Winter! -7 one day and +14 the next, ugghh. You think it's time to put away the winter coat and then suddenly an ice storm or some crap hits.. such a struggle!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Awww, sorry. Cold weather sucks! Where do you live? Me--Virginia. Its been pretty good. It was REALLY warm on Christmas...I wore shorts and a t-shirt outside! But the rest was pretty cold for awhile. Its Easter (howohlee Pahkoah...by the way) (that was happy Easter in Hawaiian..by the way) and it was 58 this morning! But, ah...well. BUT...did anyone see Syracuse beat MY team (VA Cavs) tonight? Ugghh...my grandmom, from New York, was SOO gloating! Uggh. She's annoying that way. She was HERE for Easter too. (I like this idea, BTW!!)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
So, uh, this is the story of how a girl from North Carolina moved to Vermont, broke her ankle in a freak accident, met a guy at a pancake breakfast, took a trip to Kentucky with some people she's never met, and then opened a home for biting rats.

Now she's probably moving into a tent for the summer. Funny story, right?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awww, sorry. Cold weather sucks! Where do you live? Me--Virginia. Its been pretty good. It was REALLY warm on Christmas...I wore shorts and a t-shirt outside! But the rest was pretty cold for awhile. Its Easter (howohlee Pahkoah...by the way) (that was happy Easter in Hawaiian..by the way) and it was 58 this morning! But, ah...well. BUT...did anyone see Syracuse beat MY team (VA Cavs) tonight? Ugghh...my grandmom, from New York, was SOO gloating! Uggh. She's annoying that way. She was HERE for Easter too. (I like this idea, BTW!!)
Southern Ontario, for me! It was green up until just after Christmas, it was crazy. I was kinda loving it, but it doesn't feel much like Christmas when there's no snow. Lol That's when the weather got all crazy though, can't make up it's mind. And yes, Happy Easter! I had a delicious dinner at my Aunt's Fiancee's Mum! It was about the same temp here today, it felt so nice out.. I saw a joke a little while back along of the lines of....

Ontarians when it's 10 degrees in the fall: Layers up like crazy
Ontarians when it's 10 degrees in the spring: T-shirts and shorts

LOL. I thought it was pretty accurate.

Hmmmmmmmmm, sounds like you're talking about sports, not my strong suit. Lmao

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, uh, this is the story of how a girl from North Carolina moved to Vermont, broke her ankle in a freak accident, met a guy at a pancake breakfast, took a trip to Kentucky with some people she's never met, and then opened a home for biting rats.

Where's the story!??! Lol, just kidding. I sense sarcasm...... care to share?:)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm just glad we finally got some rain here in North Carolina! My allergies have been driving me crazy for the last two weeks. Had to go get a prescription because the regular allergy medicine wasn't strong enough and my constant coughing was spooking the rats. At least this rain will wash away a lot of the pollen although it did force me to cancel my trip to hanging rock state park. Next weekend for sure. (Unless it's raining again.)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bleh! I hate the rain, but allergies totally suck more. I can see why you'd be so relieved. We currently have a rainfall warning right now. -_____-
Never heard of that place you're going to, sounds interesting though, TO GOOGLE!

ETA: Looks totally awesome! Might have to add that to my bucket list, lol. I hope you don't get rained out next weekend.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Most people take the path to the top but if you go past the shelters there is a path that leads to two waterfalls and you are allowed to climb to the top as long as there's no ice. They're called Hidden Falls and Window Falls. That's where I go. They are so beautiful and for someone like me with bad knees the path is a lot easier. (Yeah, I know, bad knees at 22. Ugh.)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

Where's the story!??! Lol, just kidding. I sense sarcasm...... care to share?
Nah - true story. You can't make that crap up.

Just not sure if anyone wanted to hear it.

But I am searching for a travel buddy for this summer.

And yeah. NC has been having some freak weather.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Most people take the path to the top but if you go past the shelters there is a path that leads to two waterfalls and you are allowed to climb to the top as long as there's no ice. They're called Hidden Falls and Window Falls. That's where I go. They are so beautiful and for someone like me with bad knees the path is a lot easier. (Yeah, I know, bad knees at 22. Ugh.)
Hey, you're not alone. My PT took one look at my ego and was like, "you're built like an 80 year old."

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sounds so cool, I may not have any bad joints, but I'm so out of shape I'd be panting so hard. Lol Ever consider one of those brace thingies people where on their knees?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nah - true story.

Just not sure if anyone wanted to hear it.

But I am searching for a travel buddy for this summer.
Well I am very nosy... I always want to know everything, so I enjoy listening to people tell me interesting stuff - like your (seemingly) adventurous lifestyle! I am very fond of gossip.. just listening to it though, I want no part in the actual drama. Lol

I've never been much of a traveler, I like the comforts of home, but I do want to move somewhere else when I can, I don't like my area.. especially the people in it. I think I really want to move to New Zealand.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I was wearing a brace the second time I injured my knee. :( Besides, the muscles get weaker if you wear a brace all the time. I just have to be careful to not injure myself again. Makes it really hard to get a job though cause I can't do anything really labor related and I can't be on my feet for that long either.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
@Fraido, since you're not from there, I would definitely add Hanging Rock to your Bucket List. It's not Mt. Everest type impressive, but NC has some gorgeous scenery that the locals unfortunately don't use as much as they should.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was wearing a brace the second time I injured my knee.
Besides, the muscles get weaker if you wear a brace all the time. I just have to be careful to not injure myself again. Makes it really hard to get a job though cause I can't do anything really labor related and I can't be on my feet for that long either.
Sheesh! We're like a squad of people who have been beaten up. Lol we've got a broken ankle.. injured knees.. and I've broken both of my arms. (The first time I tripped over my sock, oops.)

I can definitely see why that would make things difficult, though.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Fraido, since you're not from there, I would definitely add Hanging Rock to your Bucket List. It's not Mt. Everest type impressive, but NC has some gorgeous scenery that the locals unfortunately don't use as much as they should.
Definitely! Maybe I'll save up and take a trip there with the boyfriend one day.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Besides, the muscles get weaker if you wear a brace all the time. I just have to be careful to not injure myself again. Makes it really hard to get a job though cause I can't do anything really labor related and I can't be on my feet for that long either.
Do you go to Physical Therapy? Mine showed me some exercises to help strengthen my knees, but I'm finding out it's my hips that are actually the weakest. PT helps.

And Fraido, it's a long story, but I basically will pick up and move every 1-2 years, which makes rats the perfect pets for obvious but saddening reasons. I'm trying to hit all fifty US states before I turn fifty. I ran out of work in NC and decided it was time for a change. Wanted to go to Seattle, but that was going to run me $5000 and Vermont only costed $250. When I got here, the job I had been promised by a guy, who I've come to learn through folklore is a little unhinged, ended up falling through when he decided not to pay me.
Jump forward a couple of months, and I got a job watering horses at a barn. One day, I'm walking a horse out to pasture, when I hit a patch of melting frost. My shoes were full of frozen manure, so I had little grip. One foot is slipping on the grass, the other on solid gravel. Like I said before, my joints are awful - muscles are too tight and tendons are too long. So my tibia dislocated, severing the ligaments, placing too much weight on the smaller bone (fibula) in my leg and fracturing it in three places. Split the thing like a chicken wing.
Eight screws and bolts and a metal plate later, and my mother finds this pancake breakfast for the local snow mobile/machine club and decides we should go. I'm all like, "Ma, we don't own a snow machine. I've never even ridden one before." And she's all like, "Free pancakes." So we get there at the very end of the breakfast, as in they're starting to clean up. Like, the people are breaking down tables and packing up the food, but whatever - my mother doesn't care. We get our breakfast, and as I'm about to delve in to my syrup soaked pancakes, I hear the lead guy say to some other guy, "Good luck in Kentucky, Pastor." Now, I'm the Queen of Eves Dropping and just nosy all around - I also have friends in KY - so I blurt, without really thinking, "Dude, what the h3ll is in Kentucky?"
Turns out Red Bird Mission is in Kentucky, and they need help. Like, a lot of help. So being the girl who just spent three months staring at a wall with no friends, I decided I had way too much of dealing with you guys and the rats ; ), so I hopped in the car with an older lady named Gladys and her husband; a middle age artist (who hates rats); and the Namibian foreign exchange student who mysteriously only goes by his last name.
I knew N O B O D Y.
So sixteen hours and three knitting lessons later, we show up in BFE, Kentucky. It's a Bible-thumping Methodist work-camp, and while I'm totally cool with Christianity, I'm a basic Taoist and this is not my area of study. So I painted a few walls, read some of my poetry, ate way too much cereal, and kicked butt in Uno for the better part of the week. Saw Niagara Falls, and now I'm looking at campsites for the summer season so I can live in exchange for a bit of work.

So yeah...adventure?

·
Registered
459 Posts
They have camping areas at hanging rock as well so you can make it a multi-day trip if you want to see everything. I live an hour or so away from it so going is a day trip but I still get to go around once a month.

And yeah I did PT both times I injured myself but no matter what I do and how much I exercise they still bother me. I'm genetically prone to this type of injury to begin with and when I injured them I tore the ligaments in the process. So yeah, have to be careful or it'll become a recurring injury and Doctor said if I take out a knee again he's going to make me have reconstructive surgery... Not my idea of fun so I'm being extra careful.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you go to Physical Therapy? Mine showed me some exercises to help strengthen my knees, but I'm finding out it's my hips that are actually the weakest. PT helps.

And Fraido, it's a long story, but I basically will pick up and move every 1-2 years, which makes rats the perfect pets for obvious but saddening reasons. I'm trying to hit all fifty US states before I turn fifty. I ran out of work in NC and decided it was time for a change. Wanted to go to Seattle, but that was going to run me $5000 and Vermont only costed $250. When I got here, the job I had been promised by a guy, who I've come to learn through folklore is a little unhinged, ended up falling through when he decided not to pay me.
Jump forward a couple of months, and I got a job watering horses at a barn. One day, I'm walking a horse out to pasture, when I hit a patch of melting frost. My shoes were full of frozen manure, so I had little grip. One foot is slipping on the grass, the other on solid gravel. Like I said before, my joints are awful - muscles are too tight and tendons are too long. So my tibia dislocated, severing the ligaments, placing too much weight on the smaller bone (fibula) in my leg and fracturing it in three places. Split the thing like a chicken wing.
Eight screws and bolts and a metal plate later, and my mother finds this pancake breakfast for the local snow mobile/machine club and decides we should go. I'm all like, "Ma, we don't own a snow machine. I've never even ridden one before." And she's all like, "Free pancakes." So we get there at the very end of the breakfast, as in they're starting to clean up. Like, the people are breaking down tables and packing up the food, but whatever - my mother doesn't care. We get our breakfast, and as I'm about to delve in to my syrup soaked pancakes, I hear the lead guy say to some other guy, "Good luck in Kentucky, Pastor." Now, I'm the Queen of Eves Dropping and just nosy all around - I also have friends in KY - so I blurt, without really thinking, "Dude, what the h3ll is in Kentucky?"
Turns out Red Bird Mission is in Kentucky, and they need help. Like, a lot of help. So being the girl who just spent three months staring at a wall with no friends, I decided I had way too much of dealing with you guys and the rats ; ), so I hopped in the car with an older lady named Gladys and her husband; a middle age artist (who hates rats); and the Namibian foreign exchange student who mysteriously only goes by his last name.
I knew N O B O D Y.
So sixteen hours and three knitting lessons later, we show up in BFE, Kentucky. It's a Bible-thumping Methodist work-camp, and while I'm totally cool with Christianity, I'm a basic Taoist and this is not my area of study. So I painted a few walls, read some of my poetry, ate way too much cereal, and kicked butt in Uno for the better part of the week. Saw Niagara Falls, and now I'm looking at campsites for the summer season so I can live in exchange for a bit of work.

So yeah...adventure?
Your ankle story makes me cringe, eugh. That sounds ridiculously painful.

I definitely could not do what you do, that's for sure! I want to settle down in a house and become a housewife caring for the many animals I plan to have, lol. I'd be really worried travelling like you do. What ifs would be smothering my mind all the time.

It does sound pretty interesting though, what States have you gone to so far?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They have camping areas at hanging rock as well so you can make it a multi-day trip if you want to see everything. I live an hour or so away from it so going is a day trip but I still get to go around once a month
Neat, I am for sure going to look into that. I do have this sort of irrational fear of bears though.. haha. I've just had some pretty sketchy nightmares with bears and it's developing into a bad fear. (Ugh) There are a lot of nice places to visit in the States, I would never live there though. (No offence, lol.)

1 - 20 of 101 Posts