Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about 5 days now, my rat Shrieksy has had rapid heavy breathing and a lack of appetite. She's been on 4 ml of Chlor palm twice daily for a week before this started because of a similar incident that happened (after about 3 days she returned to normal.) It's been very cold out recently so the furnace has been running a lot. It's an old furnace that probably hasn't been cleaned out in ages so I worry that it might be that. She's still on Chlor Palm so I can't imagine it being a myco infection. Anyone know what the causes might be?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Her breathing has taken a worse turn. Now every breath is a squeak and she seems to be in a bit of distress. She refuses to take her medicine or even her baby food now. I really need some advice. I booked an appointment with the vet for tomorrow but at such short notice I'm not sure if I can get in

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
This could be a heart issue. i would ask your vet to try heart meds (fortekor and frusomide ) it can often present as resp symptoms and would fit with her slowing down. They can do very well on heart meds for a long time

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vet checked my rat over and decided to give her 0.1 ml of tylosin twice daily and may put her on a mix of amoxicillin once the vet finds a smaller compound. He also noticed there was a bit of redness on the left side of the gums and her teeth were a bit long so I'm going in Monday to have them trimmed. For now I have her on soft foods. I hope it helps (gave me gastrointestinal dog food to feed her). He said it was unlikely to be a heart problem as her ears and tail haven't turned blue and she did put up quite a fight when trying to view her teeth.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shrieksy is around 410 g I believe, but I'm wondering if 0.1 ml of tylosin is enough. When the vet was prescribing it he said 1.0 ml to be taken orally but when they handed me the bottle they put a new prescription sticker on there that said 0.1 ml orally twice daily and said there had been a mistake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts