Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I’m worried for my girl Kiwi she’s about a year and 4 months old, one of her cage mates, Jinx got an ear infection so we separated her so she wouldn’t get hurt from falling over etc because the other cage mates are young rats who are a lil rough. But we allowed Kiwi to visit for a few hours everyday with Jinx because they are gentle together. Now for some reason Kiwi is acting strange either cage I put her in she will just lay down with her eyes open staring for hours or lay in a dark corner and will not come up to me when I call her. She eats and drinks just fine no problem there I’m so confused. Is she just stressed or could there be any other issues going on? If any one has some insight it’d be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sounds like Kiwi is missing her cage mate.
I'm currently going through something similar. My Turvy got pneumonia and the vet recommended I separate her and Gigi - so then I had one rat missing her cage mate and another rat sick and missing her cage mate.

I try to spend as much time as I can with each of them. With Turvy, it's easy because she loves the attention - but she still misses Gigi and will try to get to the cage any chance she gets.
Gigi is more quiet and shy by nature - so it's a little harder to engage her.

It's been about 10 days and Turvy is going so much better - I've decided to put her back in the cage. I figure as long as she gets her meds - it should be fine.

If Jinx has been on meds for a few days and isn't showing any sign of loss of balance - she should be fine to go back to her normal cage. Providing, of course, that whatever caused her ear infection isn't something that's contagious.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like Kiwi is missing her cage mate.
I'm currently going through something similar. My Turvy got pneumonia and the vet recommended I separate her and Gigi - so then I had one rat missing her cage mate and another rat sick and missing her cage mate.

I try to spend as much time as I can with each of them. With Turvy, it's easy because she loves the attention - but she still misses Gigi and will try to get to the cage any chance she gets.
Gigi is more quiet and shy by nature - so it's a little harder to engage her.

It's been about 10 days and Turvy is going so much better - I've decided to put her back in the cage. I figure as long as she gets her meds - it should be fine.

If Jinx has been on meds for a few days and isn't showing any sign of loss of balance - she should be fine to go back to her normal cage. Providing, of course, that whatever caused her ear infection isn't something that's contagious.
I will usually leave Kiwi in Jinx’s cage for about 5+ hours sometimes even overnight... yet when she’s with jinx she does the same thing. So I just don’t know :/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts