Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a two and a half year old female dumbo rat. A month or so back I noticed a lump on my her foot. We thought it was bumblefoot and took her to the vet for treatment. However, the treatment for bumblefoot didn't work. We took her back to the vet and they said that they were unsure of what it was and that treatment would be costly, so we opted to not do anything. She acted normally for a while, but started sleeping more (we figured because of her age). This week though she has started licking me and other things around her obsessively. She has become very thin although she always has food and water, and she feels very cold. I tried giving her more food anf bedding but it didn't help. She has started climbing to the second level of her cage and staring at the wall and breathing heavily??? I am very concerned and I want to know if there is anything I can do for her.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I dont kbow how heavily she is breathing, but I would take her to the vet and see if they will do an ultrasound. I don't want to upset you, but it could be some kind of cancer. My first rat start moving a little slower, not wanting to eat, and then one evening he started gasping like a fish out of water. An ultrasound revealed a large tumor on his lung. If you can get an ultrasound, the vet will at least be able to out rule any tumor or fluid build up. And then maybe the vet can puzzle it out a little mote. But I would definitely take her to the vet again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts