Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rat Wesley has always been a little more shy and skitzo compared to my rat Farley but it seems like he's worse now. When he comes out of the cage he stays on top of the cage and by the walls, he rarely hangs out in the middle of the room. A lot of times he doesn't even come when I have a treat. I thought this might be because I don't get them out as much or they might have had a bad experience with our cat, who just started going upstairs and in the room where the rats are. I also noticed today that when he came down from the cage he was making squeaking noises, I think when he was breathing. It didn't seem like a need for concern because like I said, Wesley has always been a little skitzo. But now that I hear his breathing is weird, I'm wondering if this may be a health issue? Does anyone know any illnesses like this? Could it be a respitory infection?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I would just take him to the vet. Rats are really good at hiding illnesses so it old be something worse. Hope he feels better.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I totally agree with JAnimal that Wesley should be seen by a veterinarian (who is experienced with rats). Rats don't normally make any sounds while they're breathing so Wesley could very likely have respiratory disease. The sooner you take him in the better. If you wait, the problem could get worse and become more difficult (and more expensive) to treat. When you take him to the vet, the worst thing that could happen is your vet will say he's fine.----And then you'll have peace of mind that he's okay. :)

Please keep us posted. You and Wesley are in my thoughts. Sending positive, healing wishes for Wesley.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts