Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My baby rat Stuart has been acting pretty weird. She is about 2 months old now and I have had her home for two weeks now. I want to get her introduced to my other rat, but something is weird with her.

Wednesday April 8 Stuart was a little puffed up but everything else seemed fine.

Thursday April 9 Stu had a sneeze develop int he evening around 8pm. Since she was still new to the house I was expecting the new home sniffles but these sneezes were different sneezes. They were really powerful and she had a squeak with it too. My oldest rat Hankie has always struggled with repertory issues and I don't think I have ever herd her sneeze like that.

Friday April 10 I found her a little lethargy. She would always come right up to see me when I sat by her and her sisters cage but she stayed in her little hut. I though it was weird, but then again she would probable just tired. I checked on her again a little later but she was still a little lethargy. Didn't think much of it.
(At this time I am giving most of my time I'm giving most of my time to my depressed rat because her sister died three weeks ago today.)
So I go back to check on her later in the evening and my dad said that her and her sister Pippin had a fight. He though she had a bad fall. So I see Stu just sitting there with her eyes wide open at the top of the cage sitting in a pile of her own urine. I go to pet her and she kinda recoils but other than that is just still. No nose sniffing, and no licking which she always does to my fingers. She has never don't that ever.
(She was the sweetest thing and almost warmed up to me right away after bringing her home. Her sister is still getting there but Stu was up against the cage bars wanting to see me within the first few hours of me bringing them home. I left them in their cage and started to bond the next day.)
So this was super unlike her. I picked her up and held her to see if anything was wrong, and nothing physical. I held her on the couch and she climbed into my sleeve. At thins point she was barley moving and I was so nervous. she was in there and then out of nowhere she bolted further into my sleeve around inside my hoodie and just stopped in the from of my stomach. I was all scratched up but she seemed so freaked out. I held her for little longer before putting her back in the cage. She outdent move when I put her back in so I offered her a treat. didn't take it. some fruit, som vegetables, some pasta, she wouldn't take anything. So I was sitting by her cage and then se just bolted down around and into a little box I have for them at the bottom of their cage. I have never seen her move so fast and then be so still. It gave me a heart attack. My dad asked if Pippin attacked her and I told him that Stu just freaked out. He confirmed that's what he heard earlier when he though Stu fell. I was glad to hear that it wasn't them fighting, but now I had no clue what was wrong. I didn't know what to do so I just sat beside their cage for a while. Since I was really worried about her I was up till 4am seeing if she was okay. Around then I got her to eat a little and drink some water.
(Also through this whole thing her sister Pip stayed by her side almost completely.)

Saturday April 11 Stu was fine in the morning. Although still a little lethargy or hesitant to come out of her hut she seemed fine. Well despite all the waste on the top shelf they sleep on. I am assuming, because this has never happened before, Stu was in too much pain to climb down to go to the washroom and just walked out of her hut to go. By the evening she was doing the same, sitting not moving thing. She didn't run around like the day before, but she got the same to where she didn't want me to touch her and her eyes were wide open not moving.

Sunday April 12 I took both Stu and Pip out to play in the play pen. They were both fine and active until Stu wasn't. I don't know what happened or changed but she just seemed disinterested in everything and just wanted to sit in a box eyes wide open and basically unresponsive again. my dad was trying to convince me everything was fine with Stu and that I was just over reacting. Obviously I got really mad because he is just saying "she's fine, she's just tired thats why she lying there." but like... no thats not how rats work. So I put her back and Pip back in their cage and try to get Stu to eat something. She took some cooked pasta but that was really it.

Monday April 13 I woke up to see she was fine again until the evening rolled around again and she has these episodes. I found that she was having them in weird intervals. She would be fine for a bit but then back in that zoned out state.

I am taking her to the vet today and actually planned to get her to the vet when she had the really bad sneeze but because of Good Friday and the easter weekend, I had to wait till today. I don't know if it is something neurological or viral. I have tried to figure out what it is but I can't find anything. The only thing I can find that is similar is the running rats do when they have a seizure, but she didn't start shaking or start seizing after running like I have seen on videos. I am really concerned and I don't want her sister to get what she has and I also really want to introduce them to my Hankie. She hs been alone now for three weeks. She is getting less depressed, but I want her to get the attention and interaction she needs. Although I am with her probably 16h of the day, I just want her to be able to cuddle, run around, and interact with other rats asap. I am not going to introduce them yet until I have Stu all figured out but if you have any ideas of what it might be or how I can help, please, just let me know. Also thanks for reading this really long post!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure about the sneeze but from personal experience, the stunned state followed by intense activity sounds like a post-trauma episode, ie: something scared the rat really badly and it didn't know how to react.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts