Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents split weekends, so I wasn’t here this weekend. My mom was taking care of the boys. She said that my rat Bear in particular was acting weird. She said he wasn’t coming out (he LOVES my mom so this was very odd) he’s also super active and always out, and she said he mag not have been eating. I got back and he came out, immediately ran to my mom to get to my shoulder. Once there, he didn’t move. He felt way lighter than usual. He’s always been skinnier than his brothers so I’m not very concerned about this. What strikes me as weird though, was that he was bruxing. My Bear has never bruxed outside his cage. Now he’s on my bed eating, his chewing looks slightly odd?? I’m not sure if I’m paranoid though. Do you think he just missed me because I didn’t say bye when I left or something?? Do you think he could be sick?? I’ve never had a sick rat and I love him, I just don’t want anything bad to happen to him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When in doubt, go to the vet. It never hurts to have a check up, especially if he is losing weight. Keep a close eye on him, and check him over for any signs of visible injury in case you haven't already. Good luck!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yes a vet would be a good idea. If he is chewing funny he may have a problem with his teeth, which they should be able to check. You could also start weighing him regularly to get an accurate idea of what's happening with his weight. Weight loss in a rat is usually a concern. Do you have kitchen scales? (Those digital ones that are very accurate) You can place a plastic container on the scales, zero them and then gently place Bear in it.
All the best.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When in doubt, go to the vet. It never hurts to have a check up, especially if he is losing weight. Keep a close eye on him, and check him over for any signs of visible injury in case you haven't already. Good luck!
Yeah I’ll defo consider that, one of my other boys he’s been seezinf a bit too so yeah. It’ll be a pain to convince my mom though haha

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes a vet would be a good idea. If he is chewing funny he may have a problem with his teeth, which they should be able to check. You could also start weighing him regularly to get an accurate idea of what's happening with his weight. Weight loss in a rat is usually a concern. Do you have kitchen scales? (Those digital ones that are very accurate) You can place a plastic container on the scales, zero them and then gently place Bear in it.
All the best.
Ooh that’s a good idea, I think he may have been not eating from fear because of his new cage mates, mayve he was stressed, I’ll try that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts