Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that some people here have allergies to rats... I was wondering what the symptoms of that are. I've never been allergic to anything, so I don't really know..

Sakura was crawling around on me for a while, and I put her back in her cage about 15 minutes ago. I just noticed that now my arms are covered in tiny red bumps. They don't hurt at all, but I've never seen those before. It looks like a rash - but it wasn't there when I put her back. This hasn't happened with any of my other rats, but I don't know what else could have caused it. She's still pretty dirty though.. could that have something to do with it?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I break out anywhere my boys scratch me. It's because of the urine and such on their claws.

They itch for hours, but keeping their nails down and benadryl spray help.

Some people get rashes or respiratory reactions, I think.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My arms don't itch at all. My shoulders and chest are all scratched up from when I let Rokk or Coconut climb on me while I'm wearing tank tops, but they don't get irritated. And Sakura crawled on me yesterday and earlier today with no unusual rashy things... I dunno. I just got a little worried. I guess I'll have to wait and see if this keeps happening or if it gets any worse.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
if they don't itch/burn it might be a mild allergic reaction....consider yourself lucky!!!

Before we moved my boyfriend was in the same room as the rats all day, and he was wheezing horribly at night!! I was terrified for him and terrified that it meant getting rid of the ratties.......... however since moving, switching to YN, and getting to open all the windows and create a good airflow he is not really showing any symptoms!!!! We might have to invest in an good air filter when it's too cold to leave the windows open but I think it'll be ok ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts