Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, so my last rat I had recently passed, but of course since I love rats so much I really want to go adopt more. But now my issue is when I had my last females I developed a pretty bad rat allergy, I would get hives and rashes after holding them, and when ever I cleaned them and their cage I would get a bad stuffy nose and a bit of a cough, its not fun. But before I had my females, I had a male rat and it seems with my male rat my allergy wasnt as bad with him, is it possible that I could be more allergic to one gender and not the other? Should I consider getting males this time? Or did my allergy just get worst over time?

If you also have a rat allergy can u offer me some tips and tricks on how u deal with it? Cause if I can find a way to deal with it I think it worth having a rats again lol.

Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's possible that the sex of the rats has something to do with it, but allergies can also change unpredictably over time. Consider other factors like what bedding they were on, food, anything else that was different in their environment, etc.

An easy way to test it is to visit someone with rats and see if you have less of a reaction to males vs females.

I've got a pretty bad allergy to my rats, it started out manageable but now I won't be able to have more when my girls pass unless a miracle occurs. :/ I have an air purifier with HEPA in my room (where their cage is), I take a daily allergy pill, and I'm on a daily steroid inhaler to control my asthma. All that... and I still have reactions. Sigh. I basically can't handle my rats with bare skin anymore, I need to have long sleeves and cotton gloves because of how bad a rash I get with any contact from their nails. I've found that benadryl topical spray helps a lot with keeping the reaction from getting too bad if I apply it quickly, but calamine lotion doesn't do much.

Oh, and wrap some cloth around your face when you clean their cage, it really helps keep the sneezing to a minimum. Plain cotton like a bandana or pillowcase is easy to breathe through, and fairly easy to find.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's possible that the sex of the rats has something to do with it, but allergies can also change unpredictably over time. Consider other factors like what bedding they were on, food, anything else that was different in their environment, etc.

An easy way to test it is to visit someone with rats and see if you have less of a reaction to males vs females.

I've got a pretty bad allergy to my rats, it started out manageable but now I won't be able to have more when my girls pass unless a miracle occurs. :/ I have an air purifier with HEPA in my room (where their cage is), I take a daily allergy pill, and I'm on a daily steroid inhaler to control my asthma. All that... and I still have reactions. Sigh. I basically can't handle my rats with bare skin anymore, I need to have long sleeves and cotton gloves because of how bad a rash I get with any contact from their nails. I've found that benadryl topical spray helps a lot with keeping the reaction from getting too bad if I apply it quickly, but calamine lotion doesn't do much.

Oh, and wrap some cloth around your face when you clean their cage, it really helps keep the sneezing to a minimum. Plain cotton like a bandana or pillowcase is easy to breathe through, and fairly easy to find.
sorry for such a late reply haha

thanks for the tips! glad to know I'm not alone, it sucks cause I really want more rats too but I dont know if I should take the risk. I mean I could probably manage mine as well but I would have to do a lot of extra steps like you. Maybe next time, if I do decide to get more I'll get males and see if theres a difference. I'll also try to invest in a good cleaning mask and gloves for when I clean their cage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts