Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rat Shrieksy has always had the sniffles since I bought her over a year ago. I've taken her to the vet a lot (almost once a month cause I'm afraid of her getting a URI) and they always prescribe an antibiotic, and around 5 days after giving it to her, the sniffling (usually) lessens or stops, but less than 4 days after her medicine is up she's back to sniffling. Could it be that she's just very prone to myco? Should I keep putting her on antibiotics? Or could it be something else?

I notice that she eats her food in her hammock and for the longest time I couldn't figure out where this "sand" was coming from till I realized that it was very fine crumbs from her and my other rat eating. By the end of the week the hammock and bottom of the cage under their bedding (I use the paper exo fresh bedding. The stuff that looks like brown paper crumpled into springs) always covered in fine crumbs (I wash the hammock and cage every week) could this be what's irritating her nose and making her sniffly? Other than the sniffles she's very active and has a tendency to "parkour" off of things to reach on top of my coffee table and bed, so it's not like she's lacking energy or anything.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've read around and I noticed a lot of people talk about some kind of BOOSTER supplement thing to give rats with constant returning myco symptoms. I can't really figure out what they're talking about when I Google it. Are they referring to the Helix Bird supplement? All the info seems to be a bit vague when folks talk about it. What is it, exactly?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Do you wash with a hypoallergenic/scentless detergent or use softener?

How long are your treatments generally?

I wouldn't use any store-bought boosters. You can do things like use a humidifier, give her some raw honey now and again, or try medicine balls with oil of oregano.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The treatments usually go 10 - 14 days, and I've just been using dawn detergent on their hammock. I suppose I should get a scentless one?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Sounds alot like one of my rats. When shes on antibiotics shes great but the moment the antibiotics stop her breathing gets really crackly and loud. Shes been off it for about 4 days now after 3 months on antibiotics and I'm hoping she won't get worse again.

·
Registered
219 Posts
What antibiotics does she get?
It's probably the same URI over and over, not getting the chance to complete cure with only a 10-14 day treatment. I would try treating her for 4-6 weeks with a combo of antibiotics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts