Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watch them carefully but it looks harmless.
Cat is declawed (NOT by me, so cruel), indoors only so has never killed a rodent or bird.
[video]https://video-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xaf1/v/t42.1790-2/11382124_586268344848882_129958002_n.mp4?efg=eyJyb HIiOjQwNSwicmxhIjo1MTIsInZlbmNvZGVfdGFnIjoicmVzXzQ yNl9jcmZfMjNfbWFpbl8zLjBfc2QifQ%3D%3D&rl=405&vabr= 225&oh=91cd625490772284a48ddba0fadb568c&oe=5592478 4[/video]
hope link works....

·
Registered
143 Posts
For some reason I can't watch the video :(

One of my cats used to sleep with my baby parrot until he passed (he was sick from the moment I got him and never truly recovered). Nowadays, years after that, she sometimes chases birds (1 or 2 per year and I think only young nestlings or old ones) but never dares to touch a parrot and where I live there are hundreds of wild parrots.Once a dead parrot fell from a tree in my patio and the cats didn't even consider him. If it was any other kind of bird, they would have fought over the remains, no doubt. I also have a blue front that lives outside of the cage from long before I had the cats and he is never bothered by any of them.
I know my cats would never hurt my amazonian and they are sometimes with the parrot by themselves. Never even a scratch.

Rats are rather small so maybe you can trust your cat under your supervision. My parrot is huge and would fight back if any of the cats tried anything, but a rat couldn't do much I guess.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The video is mostly just my cat pawing the rat gently, and rolling over to let the rat on her belly. They seem to be friends almost

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I couldnt watch the video either. I love cats, I have 5 of them and foster kittens :)

But I am not comfortable with rats & cats playing together. Yes some can be the best of friends & it is cute. But they are different animals and a small accident could be life or death. Honestly we think of cats as the bad guys but your rat could do just as much damage to the kitty.

Even an indoor cat has the instincts to attack, the quick motion & even more so the tail of the rat is hard for them to resist. That is why cat toys are so much fun for them. It is not actually being mean, hungry, or cruel it is often playful. Most cats will kill prey and then just play with it some more. For reference one of my cats, who has always been indoors likes to rip the heads off toy mice & bring them to me as gifts...and he is probably my sweetest cat that I would trust the most with other animals.

Also I would be more worried with him being declawed, as it can often leave cats a bit unstable and far more prone to biting.

There is just so much risk involved and even the slightest second before u even knew what was happening could mean a serious injury to either one. I do not personally think the risk is worth it.

But they are your pets and you know them best.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just want to second everything Moonkissed said. I remember my childhood cats, who were back then kept outdoors, and they would "play" with prey they had caught (which I am sure would have ended in the death of the poor victim, except for the fact that if I found anything being played with I rescued it!). Personally, without being able to see the video and see your cat and rat in action, I would tend to be very wary and only allow contact under close supervision. IF that. A cat is born with natural instincts, even if it has always lived indoors... But also, as already mentioned, you know your animals best. :) I know stranger things have happened!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
No, this is never okay. Cats instinctively play with their food before attacking out of the blue. Pet owners are infamous for humanizing their pets and thinking that all of their species are the best of friends, but life isn't a Disney movie, unfortunately.

This is dangerous and likely leads to one or more pets injured/dead.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol k

1 - 7 of 7 Posts