Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im gonna tell u my whole rodent storys. ok well i have three cats to start with. two of them are rodent lovers...but were scared of my last large hamster. ive have 3 hamsters before. the first two came as a pair and lived to a ripe old age of 2...as they are rodents they died a sumwhat grusome death.i was good with these hamsters. i played with them for at least 1hour a day, i loved them and taought them tricks. but that was when i was 8 or younder. later i got another hamster. but unfortunately she wasnt quite as playfull as the others and i eventually spent less and les time with her. only seeing her to change her bedding and feed her, and with increasing homework it became more difficult to find time. i am now thirteem and have an hour or more homework a day. and i an sumwhat disorganized. i can find the money and space for a rat, but im not sure if my lifestyle would fit that of a rats. i dont want to give the rat a lower quality of life because i cant send enought time with it. caould you help me with this
thnx :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Rats do take more time then the average pocket pet.

They need an hour socialization a day. This can be done with your door shut and no cats in the room and letting them run around while you do your homework.

They need very frequent cage cleanings. One complete cleaning once a week, spot cleaning daily and if you use fabric change their fabric bedding every day or every other day. Once a week you need to scrub down their cages which is no easy chore considering rats need a very large cage. Even the minimum requirements for a cage make a very large cage for two rats (and you need at least two)

And you need to be able to take them to the vet when sick, and rats can get sick quite often and will possibly need a tumor removal sometime in their lives (especially unspayed females).

I think it would be alright if your whole family was committed to the rats. Being a teen is unpredictable on time, especially recently with more homework and extra curricular activities happening in the past. But if your parents or another sibling was committed to helping the rat (ESPECIALLY the parents as the health and responsibility falls on them if needed) I think it would be alright. You really have to think in terms of 'do I have things to offer to a pair of rats needing a home?' I suppose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts