Rat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I know rats and mice are natural predators so please dont give me that speech I just need some advice. I have 4 male rats and 2 teeny tiny mice and 2 cages. 2 of my rats are at the lowest part of the totem pole I guess is how you'd say it and they stay with the mice and treat them just fine..they are just like 12 times bigger than them.. I have 2 other male rats tho and I want them all to socialize with the mice equally but these too are like rowdy teenagers and dont realize they are too small to play with roughly...so here is my question...since the rowdy rats wrestle with the mice like they do the other rats will the mice be fine? or shall I keep them seperate?.. one rat bites like he does the other three but as playing and they never have any wounds or blood the mice just squeak exactly like the rats do when they wrestle so I wonder is that the regular play biting response or are they really hurt...I cant tell

so it just comes down to

all my rats squeak when they wrestle and get play bitten

both my mice squeak when the rats play bite them but are never wounded

the mice never hide in the cage or run away from the rats, half the time they sleep with them

so should I let them stay with the rowdy rats too or not?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Honestly, no. Nor should they be with any rats at all. It's asking for someone to eventually get hurt. How old are the rats and mice in question?

You really should get another cage simply for your mice. Not only is there the great potential that someone is going to be hurt or killed, their dietary needs are entirely different.

How big are your cages?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh man.. The pet store says their dietary needs are the same...well could someone please tell me the diff cuz I have no clue and I need to fix it then!..plus all food and stuff I have says its for mice and rats but they sure are deciving I suppose...just like they say pine and ceder is safe when its not. well okay I just dont understand cuz they get along wonderful with my docile ratties its just the rowdy 2 that get them started....

30" x 18" x 24
30" x 18" x 36

a 2 month old rat and
3, 4 month old rats
plus a younger one but hes at the vet for 3 weeks with pnuemonia

I have no idea the age of mice

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Rats are predatory animals. In the wild, they eat mice. Not a good idea to ever have them together. They may get along until one day, you're going to be minus a mouse or two. It won't be pretty, and it'll be torture on the mice. Please separate them.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Oh wow, I can't believe nothing has happened already. I once had a rat cage and a mouse cage in the same room; to make a long story short, the second my male rat got the oppurtunity, he killed my mouse so quickly there was no time to intervene. Since then I won't even keep them in the same room much less the same cage. Bad idea in my opinion.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Your rats are still young. It won't be soon till your mice get more than play bitten.
If I was you I'd split them up ASAP.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Rats think mice to be juicy tidbits that make for a well rounded meal

Those rowdy wrestles are a prelude of things to come. They will turn the mice into happy meal where they play with the toy prior to eating the entree

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i think the rats and mice living together has been pretty well covered, its not a good idea at all.

as to your diet questions for rats there is an excellent sticky in the health care section about a rat's proper diet. i suggest you look it up. if you have anymore questions after that we'd all be happy to answer them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Your rats are secretly biding their time, fattening their mice "pals" for a delicious stew. What you've taken as play wrestling is actually them feeling the mouse to see if he's pudgy enough for the grand feast. This is sign number one of what's to come. Other things to watch out for?

Do you ever come home, and find your mice covered in various herbs and spices? Particularly, watch out for paprika: rats are rather heavy in their paprika use.

Has one of your mice's legs gone missing, perhaps replaced with a shoddily built wooden one? This is the rats sampling from their larder, and the shoddy construction on the wooden leg is due to a lack of proper construction equipment within their cage. If the artificial leg is one of quality construction, look for a small lathe within the cage. This would be another sign.

Lastly, if you see the rats building or living within a candy house within the cage, please remove it immediately! They build these houses to lure unsuspecting mice to their certain doom. Also, if you see one of your rats dressed in clothes suited for an old women, be sure to inform any mouse you see that it is NOT their Grandma! (See chapter 7 titled: "Yes, those teeth really are too large" of my quintessential rat/mouse relations book "You look like me, but smaller and more delicious" for more info.)

As you can see, leaving the two species together is not in the mice's best interest. Separating them as soon as possible would be the best advice.

(On a serious note: if you care about your mice remember that all it takes is for instincts to get the better of your rat ONCE, and you've lost your mouse to a horrible death.)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Rat may live for some time in peace with mice... Then once they will feel a litte bit hungry, or bored. Than the rat will jump, grab the mouse's neck between its teeth and CRACK... The mouse has ended with a broken neck and has now being considered as a meal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well thanks for the advice i suppose..its a bummer cuz I thought it was fine, nothing has happened in these few months but I bought a new cage yesterday and rats and mice are completely separated just so ya'll know.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i'd say that's the best thing to do. i keep my cockatiel in the same room as my rats. when freeroaming the girls run all over the place and never once bothered with the cockatiel that i thought was safely locked up. one day Clarice rat (who is by all accounts a violent bully) was on top of the cockatiel cage. i thought nothing of it as i had the cockatiel on my shoulder walking through the room. all of a sudden Poppy (the cockatiel) sees her cage and flies on to it. i didn't think she would do this as Clarice was sat on it. Poppy panicks as Clarice in a split second runs towards her. Poppy falls to the back of the cage as i scream and try to grab her. Clarice has pulled loads of Poppy's tail feathers out. Luckily they were not blood feathers. i was so scared and cross, but it was my fault as i am the human who should know better. Poppy was ok, so the next day i locked her in her cage. the girls were free roaming and this time Clarice tried to grab Poppy through the bars of the cage! she's developed a taste for the hunt i think! this time she ripped out a blood feather. now, i always move Poppy's cage out of the room plenty of time before i let the girls out. seeing cute Clarice turn in to this killing machine really scared me. it's too easy to forget an animals natural instincts!

having said that, it does sound so cute with rats and mice together, rats would look like giants!

glad everything ended well. good luck with all your furry friends, big and small x

·
Registered
626 Posts
Don't be bummed out, maybe if you keep a close eye on them thay can play outside of the cage together?

·
Registered
194 Posts
rattieluver said:
Don't be bummed out, maybe if you keep a close eye on them thay can play outside of the cage together?
i have to disagree...it only takes a few seconds for a rat to kill a mouse. seriously, not a good idea - instinct takes over. i'm not saying this is any horrible way but i've heard it happen so many times.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is a good idea to separate them. A cage for mice can be pretty cheap if you look in the right place.

That being said...

I was recently told a story at a rat club show about a lady who had rats and mice living together. They weren't sure if she did this just to prove some point at the show or if it was a normal living arrangement. She would bring the rats and mice in the same carrier (I think it was one rat and one mouse) and they were fine.

This isn't to say it is safe. However, stranger things have happened. Dogs raising kittens, young coyotes playing with fawns, etc. Though in the end, the coyotes will grow up and probably eat the deer.

It is safest to separate them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts