Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I left for a week, and returned to find one of my rats (Ari)dead with her head half eaten off. I do not think that the other rat (Sadie)killed her, but that she was just to frail and skinny, and couldn't handle not having food for a day or two. I believe Ari died on her own, and Sadie ate her bc she had an instinctive impulse to eat for survival, and to cope with the stress of losing her cagemate.

So my question is, should I get a new friend for sadie, or will she just develop a taste for rat and remain a cannibal? I seriusly don't know what to do right now. I was in no way prepared to have to deal with this. Please help me!!馃槶

Registered
This may sound like a rude question but if you're leaving your rats alone for a week at a time, are you currently in a position to be able to take care of rats at all?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
This may sound like a rude question but if you're leaving your rats alone for a week at a time, are you currently in a position to be able to take care of rats at all?
When I left, I supplied the rats with what I thought was plenty of food, but they apparently ate it all in the first 3 days or so. They had plenty of water left in the chicken waterer when we got home (we never had much luck with bottle waterers, they always stopped up). In hindsight, I did have a neighbor feeding my dogs, so I probably should have asked her to feed the rats as well. Wich, if I leave again, I no doubt will do. I totally understand your concern, but I thought they would be perfectly fine until I got back. Unfortunately that was not the case, and now I am completely stuck.

Registered
Well the damage is done and you learnt something new from the experience. Regarding the issue of a cagemate or not, I say you should get a cagemate, I'm pretty sure your rat is not thirsty for more rat blood, this is never really the case for any animal, mother animals eat dead baby animals but they don't try to eat every animal they meet. Your rat will need another rat to keep him company, so I suggest getting another rat and this time don't make the same mistake.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Well the damage is done and you learnt something new from the experience. Regarding the issue of a cagemate or not, I say you should get a cagemate, I'm pretty sure your rat is not thirsty for more rat blood, this is never really the case for any animal, mother animals eat dead baby animals but they don't try to eat every animal they meet. Your rat will need another rat to keep him company, so I suggest getting another rat and this time don't make the same mistake.
Thank you! I appreciate your advice. If I cannot find a way to convince my mom to let me get another rat, I will probably rehome her to someone who can provide her with a friend.

Again, thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts