Rat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had one of my boys attack my arm the other night, sending me to the hospital for stitches. Now I'm worried about that one being aggressive. Problem is, I don't know exactly which it was as my boys are all brothers and unless I look at their bellies I don't know off the top of my head who it is. And when you have a large gash on your arm, the last thing you're thinking is grab him.

I suspect who it may have been because he's shown aggression in the past. Is there anyway I can test them to see who is aggressive, so I can keep a close eye on him?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
What were you doing when you were attacked? Can you mark them to be more easily identifiable? (sharpie on their tails, maybe?)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was laying newspaper in the bottom of their cage. The top was off of it, they were running around my room. He wasn't cornered or anything.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It might have been a territorial thing. maybe take them out when you clean the cage or something. I have a separate small cage I put my boys in while cleaning their cage.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I cannot think of any way to test them, except maybe do the same thing again but with some sort of protection (like a ski jacket) so when he does attack you you can just pick him up to see who he is?

I would also highly recommend getting him neutered if you can! I'm sure that would bring down his level of aggression.

I hope you're arm heals without any problems!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I would definitely opt to have him neutered.

You got stitches for an animal bite? That's really strange. The wound's supposed to stay open, so an infection doesn't happen.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kaylaface, they weren't in the cage, they were running around the room. The top wasn't even on.

Unfortunately I can't afford to get him neutered. It was expensive enough getting the girls fixed.

And Night, they had to stitch it because it was so deep you could see fatty tissue. It wasn't like a bite, it was more like a slash in the skin, and they cleaned it out well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, and like I said, I don't know which one it was since my boys are brothers and I have to pick him up to tell (wasn't the first thing on my mind, was more thinking PUT PRESSURE ON ARM WHICH IS GUSHING BLOOD). So I definitely can't afford to get all of them neutered.

·
Registered
28 Posts
OUCH
like i'v been bitten by python's but nothing that bad
but OUCH

oh i don't now if this would help but it help's alot with boa's and python's when you reach in there to pick one of em up make sure your not afraid or anything cause alot of animal's can almost sense fear and they may mistake you for prey or somthing else

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Cappy - doing that will more than likely get someone bit again if you're dealing with an aggressive animal.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Did he jump on your arm and kind of curl over it to bite or hug the arm? That sounds like hormonal aggression, like he was trying to "hump" the arm. :(

Sharpie marker on tail and inside ear so you can see which one it is coming and going and can be more wary around him. Neutering is usually a lot cheaper than a spay. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lilspaz, no he just kind of jumped and slashed across, didn't grab me at all. Then he hid under the bed when I screamed, so I think he knew he did wrong. But my friends didn't check who he was when they picked him up and put him in the container because they were more concerned with me bleeding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts