Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend recently moved, and right before the move noticed her female rat Zen was balding. Not just normal balding or thinning, but balding in circles or her head and neck only. The other rat appeared fine, and still does, while the other rat still has these bald circles on her. Any idea what it is or what to do about it?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
You shouldnt just assume its barbering...I have a male who is indeed babrering, but this is found out after some research. There are many other different situaions that can cause hair loss.

Heres a good site: http://www.1800petmeds.com/solutions.asp?ID=SC5

You said its in a circular pattern? Ringworm can cause that kind of patterning also. Just take a look at this site and look around before you settle on barbering.

Heres a picture of what barbering looks like on my boy Silent Bob (his chest and arms, he also tends to powergroom his cagemate, Jay, which has caused Jay to go a little bald on his back):

If you know for sure its barbering, then you might want to look into what might be causing it. Some rats do it just to do it, but sometimes something as simple as their diet can cause it aswell. I have since changed by boys food to the dog food Nutro Diet Light which has lower amount of fats and am still keeping an eye on Bob to see if that could have been the problem. :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
There is also rescue remedy or something similar that can help chill down anxiety. Most rats do it cause they are bored and want something else to do. Some do it after a loss ):

1 - 5 of 5 Posts