Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are rat balls safe for rats? I read on one site (can't remember which one >.<) that it wasn't, I thought that I would get some of your opinions. what do you guys think? :?

·
Registered
981 Posts
I don't think they are particularly harmful, but rats hate them. When I was a new owner I thought it'd be awesome to get one, and I've never had a rat get in one since. If I force them in then they pee and poop and it's generally just a big mess and they are terrified.

I now know they are a bad idea for rats because rats can just be left to roam around and free range (with supervision). Confining them in a ball isn't good for them in that regard.

To start, just let your rats run around on your bed or in the bathroom where it's safe. That's what they'll like the most.

Edit: Here is a post that I made a long time ago on the exact same topic. It should have more information for you.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Personally, I think rat balls are a waste of money. Some rats like it, but my rats can't stand it! There are other uses of it that some other people on this forum came up with though. There not dangerous, there just not very good. I would advise to stay away from it!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah, my bro gave me his to use for my rats. He's been very cool in that regard. He still had a bunch of stuff left over from when he had his own mischief so he's been giving me his old things. I tried the rat ball once and they hated it. I don't use it again.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
the only thing i use them for is to tie up in their cages for an extra place to hide/horde stuff and cuddle in. spider LOVED the yellow one. i would always be able to find her in it jammed full with as many of the blankets she could fit in there. but as for running in them they are pretty useless. rats see for the most part by touch and smell and the ball essentially makes them completely blind.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've never met a rat yet that liked running a ball. The only way my rats ever use their ball is to sleep in it. (I posted some pictures of this in the Rat Homes section.) :wink:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was going to ask about the Rat Balls.

While at the Pet Store I saw a wide variety of sizes. Ranging from small Hamster to Large Ferret. My Hubby was going to get the Hamster Sized ball, but I thought it would be to small for Zoey since her tail is so long.

Even if we purchased a clear Guinea Piggish sized one, she wouldn't like it or use it?

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Don't waste your money. Rat balls are against everything a rat is comfortable with. They cannot sniff the air for predators, their spine is curved the wrong way to be able to be truly comfortable and most of them hate or fear it.

Invest in some nice coroplast and make a ratty corral instead. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
A corral you say eh. Good idea! Last night Husband and I decided to get to know her a bit more and we sat on the frontroom floor and the moment we put her down between us, *zoom* she was gone under the couch.

Oh oh!

We wont do that again.....scared the bajeebers out of me. I said to hubby "we'll have to get her a ball so she can run around" but since money is short and since I now know she wont use it and the $$ will go down the loo - we wont bother.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Zoey said:
A corral you say eh. Good idea! Last night Husband and I decided to get to know her a bit more and we sat on the frontroom floor and the moment we put her down between us, *zoom* she was gone under the couch.

Oh oh!

We wont do that again.....scared the bajeebers out of me. I said to hubby "we'll have to get her a ball so she can run around" but since money is short and since I now know she wont use it and the $$ will go down the loo - we wont bother.
You can buy coroplast, Make sure you have the height at 2', then attach with zip ties. Tape the open end (door) closed. Then you can pile toys and you into the middle and get to know her without the couch to dive under. LOL.
I have a Martin's Pen, and it rocks but I would like to make another corral (easy to fold up and tuck somewhere when not in use, and you can play with your ratties safely :))

Does your girl have a friend?

You too can have this!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts