Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think it might work I think you should trie carefresh
Fuz-A-Rella and Skuzzie use freshstep I personally rather use the other, less dust and where I got the rats they used the stuff you've mentioned and they had a cough and weeze that cost $275 at the vet to have her suggest pretty litter. I just wanted to ask pet rat owners their thoughts.

· Registered
RIP Biscuit, Bandit, Sage, Mink, & Shadow
477 Posts
I wouldn't use Pretty Litter since it's silica & not natural. Rather go for a paper cat litter pellet like yesterday's news. Also, include some softer litter that they can burrow in, like aspen shavings or carboard shreds.

· Registered
34 Posts
Personally, I would second Carefresh. It is what my veterinarian recommends and I take his word as gospel since he has owned almost twenty rats in his lifetime! However, I can totally understand why you may not want to use Carefresh. It is possibly the worst thing I have ever had the displeasure of cleaning up. It will get everywhere, your house will never be clear of rat bedding. I've noticed that the brown/natural Carefresh is very dusty so I would suggest the white variety as it seems to be more refined and has less dust (at least as far as I can tell).
However, if paper bedding like that is really not for you, I have seen that Yesterday's News is regarded pretty highly within the rat community. While I have never used it myself, I would be wary of it because all of the bags that I can find claim that there is a scent and scented bedding is generally advised against when it comes to rats because of their delicate respiratory systems. Try to find something unscented.
And if you buy litter pellets, try to get them something else that they can use to nest in. I always use newspaper in my cage because it is free and they love to tear it into strips and fill their hideaways with it. (I also use it to line the bottom of the cage- under the Carefresh- so less will get onto the plastic pans). I even had a lovely neighbor with a functioning paper shredder make little, shredded newspaper scraps for the rats and they had a blast with it. If you're worried about ink you could also use paper towels. It is softer too, and the rolls can make great enrichment toys for them.
Hope this helps! Finding a bedding for my rats was rather hellish since they are so sensitive. I am sure that whatever you pick out will be the best for your rats.

· Registered
11 Posts
Unfortunately Yesterday's News has been discontinued! I have been on the lookout for a replacement. I am currently trying Fresh News recycled paper bedding for small animals and we'll see how that goes. I did try Frisco, which is a Chewy brand paper litter, but didn't realize it had baking soda in it. I absolutely do not recommend for rats. It was way more dusty than any other paper bedding I've tried. It even irritated my airway! If Fresh News doesn't work out I a may just move back to river stones, which was such a pain to clean but worth not having my boy getting URI's.

· Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
2,721 Posts
In the US you can get hemp bedding at some feed stores. I use Best Cob, made with corn cobs. It's pelleted, costs about $12 for 40#, lasts me about a month with 12 rats. Absolutely no urine smell. No dust, absorbs moisture. I scoop the poops out. Tractor Supply carries it. For horses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts