Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently one of my rats passed away and I didn't want Daisy to be alone so I went to a breeder and bought two rats. We put them in the cage at the breeders home to see how they would react to eachother. Daisy had a go at them but the lady said it was ok. We took them home and in the car they were fine. When we got home and a couple hours later Daisy was being very aggressive and tipping them upside down and they were squealing. One of them is ok with her they cuddle together but Daisy still has a go at her. The other one freezes when she gets near her and looks frightened Daisy either grooms her or i don't know who starts it but they fight and tumble all over. Just before Daisy was biting their backs really bad when I tried to pull her away she was still biting. We tried washing the rats and putting some vanilla extract on them to change the smell which was recommended but Daisy tried to bite the one who was having a tougher time with Daisy than the other. When she bites them I try spraying her with water but she keeps going. I got the rats yesterday and no blood has been drawn. How do I stop this behaviour? She has never acted like this. How do I get them to not be afraid of her and Daisy to be friendly. Daisy is 1 year old. Please help asap thank you :)

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
How old are the new ones? Adult girls will not accept new ones under 12 weeks of age. I recommend you read the threads on new intros, i prefer the carrier method, before you put them together again. Intros, especially with girls, usually take a while. Start things slow; swap cage items, place cages next to one another, etc etc but you MUST read the threads on new intros before you put them together again. These threads are in the behavior section of this forum.

Don't bathe them either, you'll just traumatize them which in turn will make giving baths when they really need one difficult.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The new ones are about 6 weeks old. Okay thank you!! I'll look at the threads. Would I be able to have them on my bed at the same time or should I separate them until they grow up more?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Keep them separate for now. I'm assuming that your older girl gets to play on your bed? If so then especially do not let the old and new out on the bed. It's not neutral territory, meaning the older girl has claimed this area as her own. Once you do start intros be sure to do it in neutral territory, such as the bathroom, living room, hall way etc. etc., anywhere that the elder girl hasn't been. Keep us updated, best of luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts