Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rat bit me really hard. I've been trying lately to get them out, play with them, pet them and stuff, as I haven't done that all too much as I guess I should have. Is that the reason why, or is there something else? I have this paint on my finger that I can't get off, maybe she thinks its food? Will she stop this the more I bring her out and touch her, feed her treats, etc? She's never done it before. She's the timid one of the two that I have.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
First, welcome.

Second, the biting.

Rats will often bite at things on fingers. Like bandaids, fake nails, etc. Paint may be similar.

Did you handle food recently without washing your hands after? Your food or their food, or their treats. They may have thought your finger was a treat.

How long have you had them? Where did you get them? How much do you handle them?

I got my first boy (Pernod) from a petstore where he was never handled (except to be picked up by the tail). He would bite out of fear. It took months to get him over it, lots of patience and LOTS of handling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just had a shower and I washed my hands thoroughly, twice, because I figured maybe it was the smell of the treats I had been luring them out with earlier that she was smelling. She bit me after I washed my hands.

I haven't handled them much. Is it too late to get them familiar and friendly? I've had them for 6 months or so.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Never too late, but you need to be committed.

You have neglected your rat(s) and they don't see you as the wonderful loving caretaker, but just some annoyance. You need to take it slow, and don't make any sudden moves. Begin handling the rat(s) outside the cage... after 6 months of not much interaction, that cage is her home to protect at all costs. Outside the cage, you can begin to show the rat that you are one of them, a friend, not a foe, or at least, not just the hand that feeds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's rather docile. She isn't biting anymore. She lets me pet her.

How long should I handle them outside and how long do you suppose it'll take before they start wanting me to take them out, or come out on their own?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts