Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a rat owner is Rat Bite Fever something I should be realistically worrying about?

Do you guys kiss your rats and handle their poos without gloves? How many precautions should I realistically be taking?
I am a first time owner and have just heard about this illness and its freaked me out a little.

xo

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
rat bite fever is very rare in pet rats. If you get fluey symptoms after being bitten by a rat then go to the doctor but if not don't worry about it. I've kept rats for 28 years and never got ill from mine.

There are Other things that can come up but most are very rare in pet rats though more common in wild rats and can be cleared by a course of antibiotics. Any animal tow is the same. Just be sensible don't share food with rats. wash hands after playing with them or cleaning them out and don't let then in your mouth. All animals carry risk but the benefits are much more than the risks

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I don't think it's something to be concerned about. I almost never hear about it. I kiss my rats all the time, and I'm sure their little feet and nails are pretty dirty from walking in their litter. It's really common to get shallow scratches all over my arms and neck and legs when they run around on me and I usually don't care enough to wash the scratches afterwards. Maybe I'm kind of gross, but I don't use gloves to clean their litter. I just dump the container out and wipe out and spray down with paper towels and vinegar/water mix. Just keep their cages very clean and you won't have to worry as much about their dirty little feet. Of course I wash my hands well after cleaning them up, but I'm more concerned when my rats get a scratch than when I do!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems to be very uncommon from the small amount of research I have done and pretty unheard of in pet rats. I think I may start handling their poops and cleaning their cage with gloves though - but more for my own peace of mind. I always used to change my cat litter that way so feel I should be treating these guys in a similar manner!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems to be very uncommon from the small amount of research I have done and pretty unheard of in pet rats. I think I may start handling their poops and cleaning their cage with gloves though - but more for my own peace of mind. I always used to change my cat litter that way so feel I should be treating these guys in a similar manner!
Speaking of that cat litter, you stand a far greater chance of contracting toxoplasmosis, from your cats, than anything from your rats, but millions of folks keep cats without a thought of that ;D

You can also get cat scratch fever, pasturella, cellulitis and sepsis from cat bites, giardia and coccidiosis and worms from dogs, flu from ferrets, psitticosis and chlamydia from birds, TB from infected fish, and so on and so forth.

So, either I've totally freaked you out now, with zoonotic scares from our animal friends, or else I've achieved what I meant to, which is--there are slight risks to just about everything in life, and just use common sense and enjoy your little pet friends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts