Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was volunteering at the humane society yesterday morning and playing with the rats. I guess I must have startled a poor rattie because he bit my index finger and wouldn't let go. I stayed calm ad after he finally let go, blood started gushing out and dripping onto the floor. Today, part of my finger is swollen and I can feel pain on the palm of my hand. I put Neosporin on it. Am I being paranoid? Should I go to the doctor? I would rather not.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm no doctor.

But pain on the palm when you were bitten on your finger? And your finger is swollen? Might be worth having a doctor check it out. Sure, bites will be swollen, and I don't know if you have a normal swelling or not, but it might not be a bad idea to get checked out.

If I was in your situation, I would.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think it when it comes to bites of any kind (particularly animal), I would weigh on the side of caution and seek medical attention.

Yes, it's an inconvenient pain, but things like this can get worse and you want to make sure you've been checked out. :)

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Unfortunately, if pain is spreading it is time to seek medical attention. It could be an infection that will spread worse. Hopefully you'll just be handed some ibuprofen and amoxicillin.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Finger pain spreading to the palm? Ouch :-/ Nerve damage? Keep us updated, that sounds pretty bad

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay guys, Update: I think I was just being paranoid and imagined the pain in my palm. My finger is swollen and the swelling has since gone down. Do bites usually swell? I have never been bitten before this.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was just bitten by a rescue that I was taking to the SPCA. It swelled up a LOT. And the teeth went in deep. If you haven't had a tetanus shot in the past 7 years or so, I would highly recommend going in for a booster and for some antibiotics. Because rat bites are deep puncture wounds, it's more likely to get infected that a surface wound. It heals from the top down and can trap bacteria inside. If you don't want to go to a doctor, at least keep tabs on your temperature and check the site daily for infection. If the swelling increases over the next day or so, or if it's red and warm to the touch in a few days, you should really get some antibiotics.

This is really general advice for any bite that penetrates the skin. On the plus side, serious illnesses are very seldom transmitted from rat bites.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank God I've gotten a tetnus shot recently...

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Usually within the first couple of days rat bites start healing or get worse. Wild rats are actually better than domestic rats because they tend to tear open the wounds so they bleed more and heal better. Those little puncture wounds can close up and prevent nasties from getting out and becoming infected.

I'm a big fan of iodine if you own rats, it's dirt cheap, takes up very little space in the medicine cabinet, never goes bad and it burns like heck so you know it's working.... it also tends to get down into the wound just a little better than those sprays. It also works on rats, and I've used it to stop black tail on mouse pups... Not to mention it works great on cuts and scrapes and as a teaching tool for little kids. The very mention of iodine got my daughter to be more careful around sharp and breakable things when she was only 3 years old... With kids the more you use the less you need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts