Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tonight, my rat alec fell off of the bed for the second time since last week. the first time it was quite dark in my room, and i believe he slipped and fell. tonight i think he fell because he was grooming too close to the edge and rolled off, but i am not certain because it happened very quickly. i watch them a lot when they're out as well, and if i could have prevented either situation i would have. they are only about 11-12 months old, so i don't think it's due to balance or sight issues from age.
however, tonight, alec is continuously poking at and biting his cagemate westley. alec has bitten me twice when i tried to break them up, but i don't think he meant to. this is really worrying me and i currently have them separated- alec is on the bed with me, and westley is in the cage. i've never seen alec act up like this before, and although he has always been more hyper than westley, it's never been this bad.
i don't have a way to keep them separated overnight either, since i only have room for one cage ( it's the critter nation one. ) anyone know why alec might be acting this way? maybe he's still stressed out from the fall? he's climbing over me and giving me kisses just fine, while westley is now peacefully able to rest in his house.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Is he leaning to one side or wiggling his head back and forth?
It sounds like he could be irritated and if he had a couple falls recently it could be from injury, that could be why he is being aggressive recently. Ear infections or brain injuries could be a culprit, often rats will lean to one side or sway back and forth unusually if this is the case. He may need a vet checkup, but are there any more symptoms that would point to any illness?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've watched alec very carefully to lookout for any strange movements, and he seems to be acting fine. eating, drinking, receiving treats. westley actually seems a lot more spooked than alec does. just tried to re-introduce them in the cage since i am eating dinner, but again alec went and attacked westley in his house, so they're separated.
only a few minutes ago i learned a trick for the critter nation cage- since the ladder which connects the top and bottom half in mine is broken (the hook where you would hold the ladder up is bent so i cannot create a block-off) would it be alright to switch the bottom and top pan so there is no hole? i have a spare food bowl and two water bottles. would it be wise to keep them apart for tonight? it wouldn't be for more than 9-10 hours, since it's 11 now and i typically wake up at 8-9.
i am planning on taking them both to the vet tomorrow as early as i can.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
You can swap the pan, or get something like a small sheet of Perspex, a tile or baking sheet and slide between the mesh and tray (I'm assuming its designed like the SRS here as they are similar cages).

I would get him to walk around unaided, checking for any circling, tilting to one side or stiffness / limping. Then try getting him to hold food and eat, checking for weird facial expressions, clumsiness or lack of coordination. Finally give him a good feel all over, gentley manipulating all his limbs and tail and feeling along his back and belly for any sore spots, lumps or bumps.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they were separated throughout the night, and i could hardly sleep because i was worried about them, so now they're out with me. i heard them drinking and eating all night as well. they're both perfectly fine from what i can tell- cuddling, accepting treats, grooming one another. i typically put an igloo on my bed so they have a bit of privacy and they're currently both in it sleeping. alec seems a bit timid but i honestly think he is a bit sorry for what he did, since i've never placed them apart before and he knows he was bad last night.
still taking them to the vet, but he isn't wobbling or showing any signs of injury either. later on today when they come out to explore i'll give him a thorough checkup. thank you for the suggestions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts