Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is a picture of Ana. She has these awful scabs all along her back from the base of her head to about mid back. They don’t look infected, and in those pictures they are more irritated than anything else because I had to wet her down in order to see them well enough to grab a photo.
She has noticeable ones for about week now, and doesn’t seem too bothered by them.
Tonight I had all 4 ratties out together as I normally do and they were running around on the back of the couch as per usual when Artemis started letting out these little squeaks every few seconds. I looked over and Mona was biting her (ear, back of neck, back legs, cheek, back, face, tail, and bum) and pulling Artemis towards her. I’ve seen this behavior between Mona and Artemis before when it was just the two of them and it was only ever biting and pulling on the tail in the cage. Mona then started doing to to Ana.
I have separated Mona from the rest of the rats and am reaching out to anyone and everyone who might be able to help me. Is this normal rat behavior? Have you seen this in your rats before? The rats have been living together in the same cage for about 2 months now and this is the first real sign of any type of dominance or aggression from any of them. I don’t want to leave Mona totally alone all night, so any information you might have is super helpful!
Something important to note is that Mona (the one doing the biting) is not acting this way towards the last rat Philomena. Mona and Phil are the more dominant of the 4 girls but it’s never really been an issue.
In September/October, I took Mona to the vet for a potential inner ear infection because she was extremely crooked (head tilting very right). When I took her in they wanted to extract some wax but I couldn’t afford it and they prescribed some ear drops which I did for the amount of time told to me. Mona was still crooked but it seemed like everything was normal- behavior was all fine, eating, drinking, pooping, sleeping, socializing with rats and humans were all fine. Maybe she’s in pain because of the old ear infection and is reacting out because of it?
Anyone who might know what’s going on please help! I want to get all four ratties back together and happy (ideally without taking anyone to the vet).
Inbox me if you want more details. Thanks so much!

Fur Snout Rodent Ear Hedgehog

·
Registered
219 Posts
It looks like you have mites.
Those scabs are a sign of mites. They don't look like bite or scratch wounds. You can Google something like "rat mites" and you will see.
Mites cause aggression in normally happy rats. I recommend treating them immediately with Revolution. ^_^

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.