Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two albino female rats and they have been very sweet, but in the past 3 days of playing with them one of the girls goes after our toes any chance she gets, and just a few moments ago while i was playing with them she chomped down on my little toe and refused to let go! D: she drew quite a bit of blood, is there any way to discourage this behavoir?

·
Registered
835 Posts
All you can really do is scold her. Jojo use to always go for the bite and I'd scold him for it now he's hesitant toward taking treats not wanting to accidently bite me. Still teaching him that it's okay to take treats and not worry about biting me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice :) going to grab a bottle tomorrow, happy I have another option than wearing shoes to play with them lol, goodness know they would get destroyed in a jiffy x.x

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Give the rat a slap if he/she bites you. They will get the message that it is not OK.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I do a firm NO and a tap on the nose with my Rupert because he's a biter. He's biting less and he knows "NO" now so if he goes to bite me or cables etc, it's all I have to say and he backs away :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Another thing to do is to squeak/squeal really loud when they bite. This is what other rats do when one of their cage mates bites them and it lets them know that it hurts and is not ok.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Ouch poor you! My ratties nip my toes when they want attention, but never hard enough to draw blood. I've never been down with the squealing thing unless I know the bite is accidental - ie - they are licking food off your finger and take a bite/grooming you too roughly etc)

Some rats like to push boundaries and see what they can get away with - this one is trying to push you about. You are the parent and the rat is the child in this relationship so its time to teach your girl that biting is not ok. When its a deliberate bite, I would just go ahead and scold - spray water/tap on nose and say 'NO' in a firm voice - rats are smart enough to understand. When my boys are naughty I pick them up and hold them to my face, tap their nose gently and say 'NO'. I also use a spray to break up fights. Consistency is key here, so pick a method and stick with it. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts