Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My rat, Missy, breathes really weird every five minutes, it's kind of like a sneeze, but through her nose, and it's also fast and repeats itself about 15 times before she stops, as I said earlier, this goes on about every five minutes. She is acting normal otherwise. Is it normal for a rat to breath like this?

Thanks!!

P.S. Missy's cagemate, Cookie, is acting completely regular, she isn't having any problems that I know of.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Does it sound like really loud sniffing? When they're trying to smell something they can sniff really loud and really fast. Could also be sneezing. Is there anything new she could be smelling that might make her sneeze?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't sound like sniffling, it sounds like really weird repeated sneezing, it's through her nose, she does it a whole bunch of times before she stops, she never does just one, she also does it really fast and about every 5 minutes she does it, except when she is asleep, she especially does it when I hold her, or right after I put her back in her cage, and no, I don't believe there is anything new that she could be smelling that makes her sneeze...

·
Registered
955 Posts
Could it be hiccups? Rats hiccup quite a lot especially after waking up. They also chatter when they are excited or scared. It's sort of sounds like a quick chuffing sound.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The noises you are explaining sound like a respiratory infection. Any excessive porphyrin? Congestion? Snotty sneezes? Labored breathing/ deep breathing?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sounds respiratory to me as well. Nibbles doesn't do it as much but Jesse gets soft sneezing fits every 5-10 minutes when he's got a URI. If she twitches or jumps during the fits it's even more likely.

it's kind of like a sneeze, but through her nose

Isn't a rat sneeze usually through the nose? Does she make a completely different sound at times you know are sneezes? It would really help if you could record a video and put it on YouTube.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The noises you are explaining sound like a respiratory infection. Any excessive porphyrin? Congestion? Snotty sneezes? Labored breathing/ deep breathing?
Well, sometimes when I'm looking at Missy, she sneezes and it gets all over my face (I wash it off though), so yeah, I'd say she has snotty sneezes. I don't thing she has any of the rest of the stuff you listed...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts